Sedition

"Why ask his permission?
Ask mine. I refuse"

Dakkoul

Grent had a determined look in his blood-shot eyes. "I was wrong to blame you Hattavah for the death of the soldiers and stupid to play a part in punishing you."

"You were." Dakkoul rested his hand on the hilt of his dagger.

"I've come to apologize. Jalen said I should," Grent said, in an almost defiant tone as if daring the listening soldiers to mock him. He scratched his head. "I want peace between us. I don't want to lie awake tonight wondering if you are coming for me like you did my Captain."

Dakkoul glanced at Alyssia. "I'll leave you alone, if you leave us alone."

"Agreed," said Grent his breath escaping in a sigh of relief. Behind him Jalen's chapped lips curved upwards.

Alyssia stabbed a finger at Grent's chest. "You came to my village. You and the other soldiers, you slit the throats of my father and mother, while they were huddling in a corner and no threat to anyone. You allowed your men to do," she swallowed, "terrible things. You did terrible things and you too," she said pointing at Jalen who paled and waved his hands in front of his stomach. "You were there too."

Grent made a mock bow. "That's what I do," he said, his voice neutral as if he were admitting to drinking ale like water but above one of his blood-shot eyes, his eyebrow spasmed.

Alyssia hissed. "How dare you? Aren't you afraid of God's judgement?"

"What God?" Grent laughed. "There is no God here, except the She-Fox and she delights in the blood and the violence. It honors her when the faithless are slain."

"Not her. The one true God. The one who punishes people like you." The shrillness of Alyssia's voice filled the dining room and raised a murmur from those still thronging about. 

"That's sedition," said Grent darting a glance at Dakkoul.

It was. Dakkoul stepped between them. "Go away, Grent. I'll deal with her. She is new and ignorant of our ways."

Grent narrowed his eyes so that they almost disappeared, but he turned and flounced off. Jalen stayed where he was.

Dakkoul motioned Alyssia towards him and bent his head to hers and spoke into her ear. "We don't mention other gods here. It's too dangerous. As slaves we serve the Fox-god of our masters."

She looked at him, her face defiant."I don't and I won't."

"You need to calm down, Alyssia, and think about what you are saying," said Dakkoul making his voice very quiet so she had to leaned towards him to hear. "There are spies here who would not hesitate to run with this news to Lord Rustavan." Dakkoul heard Malek shift his feet beside him. "They will be rewarded for such a tit-bit and I do not want to be ordered to punish you."

She looked at him with eyes that were both far away and accusing but she did not speak.

Jalen stepped forward. "Hattavah, can I talk to her?"

Alyssia spat at him, "Why ask his permission? Ask mine. I refuse." She fled the room.

Jalen blanched and his shoulders slumped. "Can I talk with you instead Hattavah?"

Dakkoul sat down in his usual chair and Jalen heaving himself down opposite. Malek got two cups of hot tea and brought them over, then went once more to wait in the dwindling food line.

Jalen was tapping his fingers on the table, making a rolling sound, before he flattened them. "You killed him anyway."

The Hattavah shrugged. "He kept after me, even at the marketplace." He spooned some of the mash into his mouth but the flavor seemed to have vanished.