40. RISING MOON

Our Geography classroom became silent. There were no sounds other than Mathias' breathing. He told the truth, he wasn't all right. His hands were shaking in spite the fact he had clenched his fists so tight that his knuckles turned white. His lips were parting with every exhale, revealing his teeth. I could swear they weren't this long the last time I spoke with him.

Ardea glanced at the window behind Mathias and backed away several steps. "We have to get out. Now!" she said.

Never had I heard her speak with such urgency.

"Azora, Opal, move!" she rushed us before addressing Mathias. "You have to stay here. Do not leave this room. Nod if you understood me."

He nodded and pushed his fingers into his dark hair. Drops of sweat started to form on his forehead.

When we found ourselves in the hallway, separated from the werewolf by a closed door, Ardea commanded us to get Professor Fortius.

"What about you?" Opal asked, but there was no answer. Ardea was already running in the other direction, moving away from us.

I darted towards Professor Fortius' office, compelling Opal to follow me. Luckily, we didn't have to look further, he was there. As annoyed as he was when he saw us there, he still moved quicker than a lightning as soon as we mentioned the name Mathias.

I was unable too keep up with him. Our PE teacher was in an excellent shape. Nothing less was to be expected from an orc. His back was all I saw as I hurried behind him. Opal fell even further behind.

I was approaching Geography classroom from one side of the hallway, while Ardea rushed towards it from the other, followed by Professor Ravens.

"Girls, get lost!" Professor Fortius said to us. He was well known for his efficiency but he certainly lacked people skills. In this case, however, all three of us were willing to let that go.

We did what he told us to do. I looked over my shoulder just before we turned the corner and saw him nodding at Professor Ravens before opening the classroom door. The door closed behind them, leaving me wondering what was going on inside the room decorated with maps of the world.

°      °      °      °      °      °      °

"What was that all about?" Opal asked as soon as we found ourselves in the privacy of our room.

Ardea locked the door and sat on her bed. I had never seen her like that. She was always so confident, always in control of herself. Not anymore.

She pulled her knees to her chest and took several deep breaths before she answered.

"Couldn't you see it?" she asked.

"See what?" Now I was confused.

"Mathias' wolf side," Ardea answered in a whisper. "It was just under the surface. Didn't you notice?"

I shook my head and sat on my bed, finding myself on the opposite side of my elvish roommate. She closed her eyes and massaged her temples in circular motions.

Opal came closer but remained standing, allowing herself to look directly into Ardea's face. "What were we supposed to notice? Mathias always looks like he's annoyed about something. What was so different this time?"

"Did you forget what tonight was?" Ardea asked and let her eyes wander in the direction of the window behind my back. The blinds were not closed all the way and with the dying light of the day, light of the rising Moon entered our room from the east.

"Full Moon," I said and felt shivers down my spine as I remembered the frightful howls I heard months ago. "What will happen to him?"

"He will be okay. Profesor Ravens and Professor Fortius know how to handle it," Ardea answered, yet her forehead remained furrowed by worries.