#2: the vodka

"Come over and start up a conversation with just me and trust me I'll give it a chance now."

#####

Who are you? I need to know.

Chaeyoung gets whatever (and whoever) she wants. Taking the lead, playing the game of chess with all the right moves, feeling the pride overwhelms her as she yells checkmate.

So when her steps falter and her heart race at the near sight of the mysterious lounge singer, she realizes tonight is going to be an exception.

This woman, in her heavenly voice and graceful glory, has gotten the notorious player Son Chaeyoung bouncing on the balls of her feet. The anxiety is a strange feeling.

Like a lioness eyes her prey, Chaeyoung observes her target from close in front of the stage. She was busy talking to the guitarist, possibly instructing him on what to play for her next song. When she turns back to the audience, their eyes met once again.

This time it lasts more than a second.

Ignoring the loud thumps of her heart, Chaeyoung smiles. Her dimples afloat.

The woman's initial unreadable expression breaks into another signature smirk.

If this is a movie, I'm Jackson and you're Ally.

The guitarist starts to play his guitar, follow with the woman's soulful voice, together delivering a slow ballad.

I'd like to say we gave it a try

I'd like to blame it all on life

Maybe we just weren't right

But that's a lie, that's a lie

And we can deny it as much as we want

But in time our feelings will show

Cause sooner or later

We'll wonder why we gave up

The truth is everyone knows

Chaeyoung doesn't remember when is the last time she enjoys a live performance this much, let alone captivated by a complete stranger, drawn by her voice. And the fact that the singer brazenly holds her gaze while she sings, like they're the only persons each can see in this dark sea of audience.

Almost, almost is never enough

We were so close to being in love

If I would have known that you wanted me, the way I wanted you, babe

Then maybe we wouldn't be two worlds apart

But right here in each others arms

And we almost, we almost knew what love was

But almost is never enough

Chaeyoung's eyes never leave the singer even when she finally steps down from the stage among loud hoots and claps, and heads for the nearest table.

This is it.

Bold as a brass, she slips into the booth which is already occupied by the singer alone.

"I figured," the singer tilts her head in mild surprise.

Chaeyoung leans her body forward and folds her hand on the glass top, "Am I that obvious?"

"You're not hard to miss," her chuckles literally melt Chaeyoung right on that stool. Her voice when she talks is a whole new level than her singing. It reminds Chaeyoung of ringing bells in Christmas and water running in the stream.