Story Trivia

Shape Of You is finally COMPLETE!!!

Even though SOY is only a short story (a special project to thank my loyal readers), the amount of support and kind comments received is just overwhelming.....I'm speechless :') Words can't even express my gratitude, like seriously.

THANK YOU!!!

So to end this in a grand ceremonious(?) way, I want to present you this Story Trivia to give you some insights of how this story came to be the way you see it now. So I hope you find this interesting.

#####

1. What is your inspiration for this story?

Just to be clear. I don't condone smoking and excessive drinking. And I'm legal.

My friends and I went to a bar to drink. That was in early Jan 2017. Ed Sheeran's Shape of You was a major hit. You can hear this song literally everywhere in the city. So, that bar we visited was also playing this song. It's just so fitting to the bar scene. Just the music, the alcohol, the vibe and the people. Everyone was just chill. Very laid back. My friends were talking (and, flirting) with some people and I saw a few girls smoking at their table. Like, can you imagine the picture?

Putting all these together with the song, that's how I decided I wanted to write a fling romance for Michaeng.

Fun fact: There wasn't a live singer in the bar we visited so Mina's character as a singer in SOY was something I made up but still relatable.

#####

2. Does that mean the character Chaeyoung is based on you?

Maybe lol? The difference is, I went to the bar with a group of friends and left with just my shadow as the only company. Chaeyoung went to the bar with her best friend and left with a new-found belief for love and a smoking hot girlfriend. Hahahaha.

#####

3. How did you draft/write the story?

Okay this is gonna be a bit lengthy. Bear with me lol.

At first, I thought of writing a one shot about a "casual fling" to fit the song and the bar scene. But then as I was drafting, I felt like I should develop the idea into something more meaningful.

So, I drew out each character's personality. Mina, the lonely singer; Chaeyoung, the cocky girl. To prove their personalities, I portray Mina through her initial skepticism towards Chaeyoung and her difficulties at handling emotions. Basically, she likes to keep her feelings to herself. As for Chaeyoung, she looks like a tough cookie with her straightforward remarks and smoking habit. But these features make her genuine. When they are destined to meet, Mina's brokenness brought out the gentleness in Chaeyoung; whereas Chaeyoung's persistence and "I-can-be-myself" attitude touched Mina.

(I think many of us tend to keep a strong face to mask ourselves, right?)

That's how everything becomes more well-rounded, in my opinion. You can say it somehow turns into a "love at first sight" story. Michaeng found each other and fell in love at the least expected circumstance.

"Love will find you when you least expect it."

"You deserve the love that will make you believe in love."

(oh my god I am so sappy...)

The poem, as you can see in the Story Info and also the banner above, serves as a guide for me. Every title is named according to the significant objects that bond Mina and Chaeyoung closer. Every chapter begins with a lyric from the song that acts like the main idea for every chapter to push forward the story development. Every chapter also ends with a quote that is either what Chaeyoung or Mina wants to say to the other.

So yeah, with all these, I tried to write out each chapter so I wouldn't swerve from the plot. They will meet at a bar. The first sex in the washroom acts as a turning point for them. The convenience store scene (my personal favorite) is to create more Michaeng chemistry. And finally, the second sex in Mina's bedroom is how they accept their feelings, especially Mina and everything starts to fall into place. So when Mina wakes up in the morning, she feels she can trust Chaeyoung.

Do I make sense? Hahaha I'm sorry :')

#####

4. Why did you only publish SOY now when the idea struck you in 2017?

Like I said before, I drafted my ideas in 2017 at Asianfanfics. However some personal matters and academic stress took a toll on me that year so SOY never saw daylight.

Until recently, Photographs is doing quite good at Wattpad and I wanted to put out new content for you guys as a gift to thank your support. So I thought it's a great chance to revive SOY because that draft was the most complete among the others I have in my file.

Also, this story holds a special place in my heart too. So to finally be able to publish it after two freaking years, I'm just so so so happy :')

#####

5. How did you find writing smut?

Oh no, honestly, it was the hardest. I can't even describe how hard it was for me to write sexual scenes. I've never written smuts before SOY so this was, surprisingly, my first time. I referred to several eroticas and some incredibly written smut based fanfics to help me get through everything perfectly. Even so, I still think I'm not good at writing smuts tbh. By the time I finished those damned R rated chapters, I just want to bury myself into a hole and left to die. Amen.

#####

Final Words

Yeah, that's pretty much about it. But if you have more questions, feel free to ask here in the comments. I'll try my best to answer uwu.

Lastly, please follow me to receive updates and teasers for my current (and upcoming) stories. I also uwu over Twice a lot so yeah hahahahaha.

Gosh I'm so shameless lol.

#####

End.