Chapter 1

The long-furred, ginger queen sat in a rocking chair, her relatively newborn kittens laying in their cribs in the nursery. Ferncloud and Daisy were out sharing a meal, leaving Redflower alone with the sleeping litter.
"Hello, dear," Hawkfrost walked in wearing a blue longcoat and darker trousers. He adjusted the glasses as they were on the bridge of his nose.
Behind him followed his father, arm-in-arm with her former mentor, Goldenflower.
"Greetings, the long-time ThunderClan prisoner meowed with his deep voice.
Goldenflower creaked cheerily, "Afternoon, Redflower!"
"Good day," the queen replied to them all and stood up to embrace the elder queen as well as exchange a quick hug with the RiverClan Warrior.
Hawkfrost put his hands on the edges of the two outer cribs. He gazed at the kits and awed, "They're as beautiful as their mother!"
Redflower snorted, "two of them have their father's appearance, I can tell already!"
The three who had entered the nursery were all aware the kits were halfclan. While Spiderleg, Redflower's childhood best friend, stood in as a parental unit, he was not related to the kits.
"And yet, I'm willing to claim them as my own," Hawkfrost smiled charmingly at the queen.
Tigerstar looked proud of his son, but it was Goldenflower who spoke next, "you know, I didn't come here today to make over the kits and take part in witty banter."
Redflower's interest was piqued, "then why are you here?"
The queen left her ex-mate's side and moved closer to her former apprentice. Golden eyes met and the elder said sincerely, "Today will be the day I go hunt in StarClan-."
Redflower tried to interrupt, but Goldenflower hushed her, "You knew this day would come, now listen. When I'm gone, I don't know who will keep you bound to ThunderClan. I know what influence Tigerstar and Hawkfrost have over you. It may be tempting to let them in, especially when Spiderleg is not taking a very good liking to being a father. Let me tell you a secret: you have an entire clan, and your kits can rely on them to be raised. They do not need a father."
Hawkfrost looked at his brother's mother angrily, his ears having fallen flat on his head.
Tigerstar said nothing as he had finally learned respect for the queen he had betrayed many moons ago.
Redflower was stunned, "what can I say to that?"
"You can promise me you will be good and follow your father's footsteps," Goldenflower told her outright.
But Redflower couldn't do that. She wanted to be nothing like Firestar. And she could not bring herself to lie to Goldenflower, even if it meant she could die satisfied.
So she said nothing, only taking The golden elder into an embrace.

Goldenflower passed that evening.
Hawkfrost had gone home to RiverClan. Tigerstar was now in the care of his remaining ThunderClan children: Brambleclaw and Leopardnose. Tawnypelt has been informed via phone call, and had come for the goodbye ceremony for her mother.
Redflower couldn't help but notice that the tortoiseshell's stomach bulged slightly whereas she had always been...not thin, as she had her father's form, but in shape. Her shape was square but now there was a curve to her body.
Redflower watched the littermates, dark tabby tom and tortoiseshell and tortoiseshell-tabby, stand close to each other, their father nearest Leopardnose. Of course, her eldest daughter-Mossmask-and her litter of apprentices, stood with them as well.
Tears flowed down Redflower's pretty face. Her golden eyes pained from the stinging of the salt from her sorrow.
Sandstorm held little Lionkit. Ferncloud cuddled Hollykit, and Spiderleg stood awkwardly with Jaykit, all of the litter's eyes were still closed. They would not remember this moment.

Only a few cats knew about Redflower's fling with the WindClan warrior that was Crowfeather. Hawkfrost, his father, Goldenflower, and Spiderleg. While it was easy to cover up, it was hard on Redflower. She hated the secret, she hated that Crowfeather did not know. She especially hated how it was straining her friendship with Spiderleg.

It was nearly New-Leaf now. And it was time to make a move.
Redflower, with Spiderleg's help, packed a bag for her kits. They were able to look around now (except Jaykit, as he was blind) but could not yet walk or talk. It was the perfect time to go, to take them away before they could remember ThunderClan.
All three were placed in a stroller. It was late, the other nursery queens were sleeping. No one noticed as the kits were taken away.
"What are you going to do?" Spiderleg asked his supposed mate as they walked near the border, "Does Crowfeather even know you're coming?"
"Yes," she informed him, "I told him we needed to talk."

And as they came to the stream, the dark grey tom showed himself. He was cloaked in black, his blue eyes shimmering in the moonglow.
"Why did you bring a tom and kits?" He hissed angrily at her.
She sighed and explained, "Spiderleg knows the truth, that they're not his kits like we tell everyone."
"Okay but still...why?" Crowfeather pushed.
Redflower looked at him intently, "They're yours!"
His eyes grew wide like pools in a flood. He shook his head, "N-no! That can't be!"
"It is, and I want them to be raised in WindClan!" She asserted.
Spiderleg stood back, silent.
Crowfeather seemed angered, "I have a family and it isn't you or them! Now take them back to ThunderClan before they freeze!" And with that, he turned and left.
"Crowfeather!" Redflower called but it was no use, he had disappeared along the moorland.

As they neared camp, so did another pair.
"What are you doing out here with your kits?" Leopardnose scolded as soon as she and her father were within earshot of the family.
"We wanted to go for a walk," Redflower told the older warrior.
Leopardnose rolled her amber eyes, "Oh please, is Firestar's family that stupid?"
Redflower growled, "I'm nothing like my father!"
Leopardnose wanted to issue a challenge, Redflower could see it in her glowing eyes.
But Spiderleg spoke, "what are you two doing out?"
Tigerstar meowed, "We went to visit Goldenflower's grave."
"At this time?" Spiderleg's eyes were slit.
Leopardnose added, "I suffer from nightmares, I miss my mother, and Tigerstar knows I am always up for a stroll."
"Shouldn't your mate be the one to take you out?" Redflower asked, referencing Rainwhisker.
"Then who would be watching Tigerstar?" Leopardnose asked, explaining, "Brambleclaw is busy screwing your littermate, the dumb squirrely one, and right now we're the only two taking care of our imprisoned father."
"Mossmask?" Spiderleg offered, "she's a fine warrior and definitely old enough to handle antics. She's smart too!"
"I'm supposed to leave my daughter alone with a serial killer?" Leopardnose said plainly.
Tigerstar's eyes glimmered with amusement. Was this a game to them?
"Let's get back inside now," the tall, strong and old tabby tom declared.

And in silence, as a sort of truce, they did.