On board

-Clay-

Breathtaking… that’s all I could describe. The feeling upon seeing the largest waves I have ever encountered in my life. It wasn’t the first time I’ve travelled through waters but this made me feel like I was in a rollercoaster ride. If only the task that needed my attention wasn’t that important, I wouldn’t have gotten out of the office. The establishment I got so routinely accustomed to for the past year.

“ I guess I just have to get use to this for the next six months” I told myself as I focused on the movie being played in a large LCD screen in front. My boss was sleeping soundly on a reclined seat beside me. I would be too but I chose not to doze-off. It’ll only give me headaches once I wake up from a two hour deep sleep only to travel some more by land.

♫ding ding ding♫
“Good afternoon, this is your Captain speaking. In a few minutes we’re arriving at the Azulaverde Port. The crew members will advice when it is time to get off from your respected seats. Again, this is Captain Strydder, thank you for choosing Cyan and Teal Shipping Lines”
♫ding ding ding♫

I sat up from my reclined position and fix my neck pillow inside my bag.

“Boss, we’re almost there.” I slowly tapped my boss’s forearm gesturing her to wake up.

There aren’t that much of passengers today so I guess it won’t be long before we’ll be off the boat.  

---------------------------

The next thing I know,we were on a service van headed to the hotel where I’d be working for quite some time. My boss still groggy from the two hour boat ride, is on the phone with her secretary for updates on her itineraries for next couple of days. I was briefed that after the endorsement to the management and staff, she'd be back in the main office and I'd just be giving updates and reports via email.

It won't be much of a hassle since internet and network coverage has already been established several months ago.

“Mabuhay! Welcome to Cyan and Teal Hotel and Resort. “
The lady greeted as soon as we arrived at the main entrance of the hotel.

My boss and I were given garlands and drinks upon entering. We were told to proceed to the banquet hall to meet with the owner.

“Ms. Claudette Cruz, nice to finally meet you” a middle aged man warmly greeted and reached for a handshake. “Hector Palmera”

“Good morning Mr Palmera” CC (responded with a firm handshake.

“I believe this is Architect Saunders” he added offering me a hand as well.

“Pleasure to meet you Mr. Palmera” I answered shaking his hand.”You have a beautiful resort!” I added

“Thank you, thank you! But that's why you're here, the firm and the management has discussed a lot of … what’s the word.. refinement over the weeks. Which we'll be talking about in a bit. Please make yourselves at home and enjoy the meal first.” He warmly invited for us to eat.

I nodded as I pulled out a seat. CC sat beside me, opposite of Mr. Palmera. A variety of platter were served before us. Clams. Lobsters. Tiger prawns. You name it!

To be honest, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the savory nourishment in front of us, so I took one of each as CC talked with Mr. Palmera.

-----------

After we had our lunch, I was looking forward to getting to my room. I only got two or rather an hour and a half sleep last nightthanks to my boss who kept calling me every hour that I needed to prepare for the trip

.. The reason: My OC boss CC kept on calling me to remind us of our trip , which I also keep on reassuring her that I already packed my things two days prior when I found out I was to be deployed here in the islands.  

“ ugh!” I sighed to myself remembering I just went through. Good thing though, Mr. Palmera anticipated my need to rest before I dozed of from the couch we were chatting at.

He called the front desk and in a minute time a young man in uniform arrived with seem to be a cardkey.

“Architect, he’ll assist you to your room. Please get a good sleep and we’ll tour around the resort first thing tomorrow. Alright?.” Mr. Palmera instructed.

“May I take your bag Sir?” The staff asked. Normally I don’t allow other people to carry my bag for me but my back was aching from the trip.

I excused myself from CC and the CEO as I‘m minutes away from totally falling in deep sleep.

The bellhop accompanied me towards my room. I really am astonished by the sights around the hotel itself, amidst how tired I felt.  What I’m curious about is why Mr. Palmera still has a tie up with the firm whereas its already built to perfection. Any tourist would rate this with five stars.

I glanced at the nameplate of the bellhop, and read “Lester”. He led me towards the elevator.

“This way Sir” he invited as the door to the lift opened.

“H-Hey Lester. What do you like most  of the resort?” I asked walking inside and he followed.

Surprised, the young man wide-eyed responded timidly, “uhhhh- well, the food is really great though I haven’t tasted them all. Based from the feedback from other guests that I’ve served with, they really liked it.

“How ‘bout the place? Are you guys able to tour around the resort?” I asked looking at the young lad at his twenties perhaps.

“I’d give it a five out of five Sir. Between the two of us, at times, the CEO would allow us to experience the amenities before peak season. He says, its important for us to feel like a guest for us to know what the guests needs to feel while staying here.” he said quoting from the owner’s speech.

“Well said” I commented, nodding.

The elevator door slided opened while the button on the right side blinked fourteenth.

Lester signaled for me to come out of the lift.

“This way Sir.”He pointed with the cardkey on hand and my bag on the other.

After a few meters, he stopped in front of a particular room that says OCEAN. He tapped the cardkey and the door unlocked as soon as he turned the knob.

“Your executive suite, Architect Clayton Saunders.” he said handing me the cardkey with my name engraved in it.

I really am impressed.

“Great!” I entered the room. It has a ceiling to floor window with the view of the beach front outside the balcony.