Remembered

*Unedited. Sorry! Happy Update Day!*

Karen drove me home, apologizing all the way. I told her it was fine, but she wouldn't accept my response.

"If it weren't for volleyball, I wouldn't bother being around Sue," she said as she turned down my street.

"Don't get too close!" I warned, my cheeks blushing in embarrassment. Luckily, they were hidden in the darkness of the car.

Karen nodded and pulled to the side. The rain was still spilling from the clouds, but I would just make sure I was quick in getting home. I just hoped the guys were back so I wouldn't risk running into my mom.

With a goodbye and a promise to see her at school on Monday, I hopped out of Karen's car.

Charging through the rain, I rushed to the back door of the house. The guys were nowhere to be seen, but I didn't want to wait outside and risk catching a cold.

As quietly as possible, I slid the door open. It didn't make a sound, and I tip-toed inside and locked the door. Listening for any sounds coming from my mom's room, I padded silently past the kitchen. I almost made it when I heard her.

"Sang?" she called from her doorway.

I froze as panic captured my heart. "Yes?"

"What are you doing?'' she asked in suspicion, but her words partially slurred. She must have taken her medicine tonight. Maybe she wouldn't notice I was wet from outside.

I said the first thing I could fabricate. "I was thirsty. I'm just getting water."

She didn't say anything, just stared at me with dazed eyes. "You were going to sneak out, weren't you?"

My heart strummed nervously. "No, I just wan-"

"Kneel!" she shouted, her voice shrill with hysterics.

Instantly, I knelt to the ground. My jeans were wet, and my skin felt clammy. Still, I allowed the hard floors to bruise my knees.

Once satisfied, she returned to her room.

I accepted the punishment with relief. Tonight could have turned out so much worse for me, but all I would have to show for it would be bruised knees and a potential cold.

After waiting several hours, I finally stood from the kitchen ground. I stumbled up to my room, and tore off my still damp clothes. My skin was too cold, and I risked a late night shower in hopes to warm up my numb muscles.

The boys still hadn't shown up after I was done, which seemed strange to me. I didn't know where they were, but it was unusual for them to leave me all alone at night.

My head throbbed lightly, courtesy of the rain, and I wished for nothing more than to have one of my boys to snuggle with and sleep away tonight's fiasco at Karen's.

But to my surprise, no one came, and I fell asleep alone.

***

The morning was gloomy and cold. I yawned as I awoke, and a puff of visible air dispersed from my mouth. My hair was still partially damp from my shower last night, making me shiver.

Deciding to get out of bed, I crossed the hall to the bathroom. Marie's room was quiet, thought it wasn't too surprising since it was six in the morning on a Saturday. My head pounded, and I wanted to do something to ease the pain. Maybe if I took a hot bath, then it wouldn't hurt as much.

The bath filled with hot water, and steam rose where it met cold air. I didn't know why we kept the heater off in the winter. It was too cold to have it off, if you asked me.