Prologue

No one's POV:

It has been years since he was first brought to this isolated prison. Years since he was abducted from his home territory in the depths of the Atlantic Ocean, and years since he was stuck in this empty prison with nothing to do but swim in circles. An 'aquarium' is what the humans were calling it, but to him it was a prison. Where he was frequently visited by men in white clothing, who observed his behavior and occasionally forcefully stole some of his blood.

Everyday, he thought about the possibility of escaping. He could escape if he wanted to, but there was only one thing holding him back. A little girl who comes to visit him almost everyday at about the same time. At first he wanted to convince himself that all humans were the same and this little creature was no different.

She would be frightened by his appearance and she would never come back, neglecting him the kind of attention he desires. Even with all the willpower he mustered, he was glad when she came back to him. He became attached to the small child who keeps him company, and he gradually yielded to this strange sensation of strong protectiveness towards her.

Each morning he woke up with his scales tremble in anticipation for the arrival of the little human girl. She was his only drive to stay encaged and endure the many years of probing from the older humans.

When he suddenly started to have forbidding feelings about the near Future, he accepted them full heartedly.

He would wait for the day to come, his scales shivering at the thought. What ever may happen, he promised himself he would protect the girl, just as she promised to stay by his side and protect him as well. He would stay at the facility as a retribution for the kindness she has shown him for nearly a decade.