~ 6 ~

The King and Queen sat in their bedroom. After the evening meal, Auro had taken Aleia to go find her Howlers, her appointed Guardians. Auro's parents knew today would come, they just hadn't expected it to be so soon. Auro would soon be eighteen, but he would sooner manifest and the kingdom would finally know which element he would manipulate. And he would marry. Though all this occupied their minds, it was not the most worrisome.

There were rumors of Anaemis wanting to revive the Queen Alessa, who had ruled over Anerathia many centuries prior. If her soul were to possess anyone, and that person had bad intentions, their kingdom would fall. Everything would come to ruin. That could never happen.

***

"I can't believe my stepbrothers' dogs are actually from here," Aleia said as she watch the massive dog-like beast growl and pounce on each other in the courtyard. They were truly were nothing like the dogs she had so often walked with back home.

"So, they are Howlers," she went on, turning to Auro, who sat in the grass a couple feet away. "There are multiple species, and they all are very much like canines on Earth. Flayke is like a snow owl?"

Auro nodded, "Yes," he replied, putting out his arm and whistling for the bird. "She is slightly bigger than the true snow owl, but as you can see," - the bird flew down from nowhere and perched on its master's gloved arm, - "Flayke has all the same markings."

"Did you train her yourself?"

"Raised her from a chick." Auro handed Aleia a piece of meat, of a sort. "You can feed her."

"Auro Snowvale is letting someone other than himself feed his familiar."

Both Aleia and Auro looked up as a four newcomers came to stand over them. Aleia took note of the twins and assumed they might be the very ones Auro had mentioned earlier. Both stood tall, with raven hair and tanned skin, and had eyes that shone yellow in the dimming light. Which Aleia thought was strange, but perhaps the color was common for them. The other two were young men. One had short hair that reminded Aleia of a brand new penny. He was not close enough for her to see his eyes, but she could tell they were quite dark. His companion had light hair that covered his shoulders in the front but was tied at the back. They all wore fitted clothing; pants, thick black boots, and dark jackets. And they all wore dark belts that looked like they were meant to hold weapons.

Auro whistled and Flayke flew to a nearby tree if Aleia might call it that because it was not an ordinary tree. Auro stood and offered Aleia his hand, which she accepted and he pulled her to her feet.

"You've been away, Auro," the girl said, glancing at Aleia with narrowed eyes. "And you've got a new friend. How sweet."

"Lusie," her twin hissed, shooting daggers at her. "Remember your place."

"It's not like she'll last long anyway."

"You don't know her," Auro spoke up with a scowl. "If you're just here to bring malice, I would prefer you leave right now."

Lusie rolled her eyes and crossed her arms, making no move to leave.

"Aleia," he went on, ignoring her. "This is Solie" - he motioned to the redhead - "Stratos and Luminus. We call him Lumin. And you can tell who Lusie is."

Aleia nodded and offered a shy wave. Stratos sent her a friendly smile as Soile nudged him with an elbow. Aside from glaring at his sister, Luminus - Lumin - was friendly as well. All three guys were handsome. Probably not as handsome as Auro, Aleia thought, but still handsome.

"We're going to the bunker?" Lumin asked, a mischievous grin on his face as he rubbed his hands together. "I've always wanted to go there."

"My brother can go, but not me?" Lusie was visibly hurt.

"I think you can understand my reasons," Auro replied, his expression unchanged. "And to answer your question, Lumin. Yes, we are going to the bunker. I assume you've been briefed by the captain?"

"He said to prepare for anything," Soile explained with a nod. "Though he would only send us, I do think we need a someone to wield fire."

"I agree, however . . ." Auro glanced at Aleia. "Have I mentioned she is Lord Brun's daughter?"

Stratos' expression became as blank as a canvas. Aleia suddenly felt self-conscious as four pairs of eyes stared at her. No questioning her father's position ever again.

"Has she . . ." Stratos trailed off, left the unspoken question hanging in the air.

"Not yet," replied Auro, shaking his head. "Soon. Probably around same time that I do." He looked at Aleia, "The four of them manifested two Earth years ago."

"Auro was always a little slower than the rest of us," Lumin said good-naturedly.

"He doesn't give me that impression," Aleia said, shaking her head. And he didn't. The impression Aleia had of Auro was that he demanded attention. Now knowing he was a prince, it made sense.

"We leave at dawn," Auro said, changing the subject back to the focus of the conversation. "Bring only what is a necessity; weapons, extra clothes. We will be hiking and it will take us ten days to reach the Frose Mountains."

Aleia remained silent as he explained his intentions. She observed the three young men who would be joining them. They were attentive and receptive of his instructions. Which included protecting her at all costs. Lusie was not pleased, and it was her breaking point. The girl turned on her heel and marched towards the other end of the courtyard, and disappeared through one of the arched doorways. Aleia was relieved to know she would not be in the girl's company on their journey. Perhaps this was the reason Auro did not want her joining them.

"Rest up," Auro said, closing the conversation. "I must bring Aleia to her quarters and bid my parents goodnight."

He whistled, and Flayke appeared on his shoulder. He then called to the Howlers and gently guided Aleia towards an entrance to the palace. Yes, they were in a palace. Aleia had seen bits of it when walking around with the Queen. But apparently, taking a tour was not a priority.

Auro led Aleia, by the hand, through the corridors, and into a large suite. Like everything else Aleia had seen today, the color of the walls was a gentle rose with a tint of golden shine. The furniture reminded her of the old Marilyn Monroe films she often watched. Everything had claw-feet. The covers all had golden fringe and tassels.

"The Howlers will guard your door," Auro said, reluctantly dropping her hand from his grasp, and she knew it. "And my room is down the hall. You can send one of the Howlers for me if you need something."

Aleia nodded but said nothing. She noticed Auro's hesitation to leave her alone and wondered what it was about.

"Um," he went on, hesitant. "I'll come for you in the morning. It will be dark, so don't stay awake too long."

"Okay," Aleia whispered, turning her gaze to the dogs which stood in the doorway. "Can they, like, transform back into the dogs they are on Earth?"

"Of course," Auro replied quickly and motioned to the beasts. "Azris, Askan; if you will?"

They disappeared for a moment. Aleia heard a gentle crackling sound. A moment later, the boarhounds came sauntering in, wearing doggie grins.

"So you do understand everything I say," Aleia said, bending slightly, holding her balance with her hands on her knees, as she smiled at them. "Auro called you Azris and Askan. Are those your real names?"

Athena nodded her big head, panting happily. Apollo stepped forward and rubbed his nose against Aleia's cheek. She laughed softly and straightened. She caught Auro watching her with a gentle expression, but he glanced away, rubbing the back of his neck. His white hair stuck in every direction.

"I'll let you get settled," he said softly and turned to leave. When he reached the door, he looked at her once more, waved, and then left, closing the door behind him. Aleia sighed and went over to the bed, where a set of sleeping garments were laid out on the blankets.

After changed, Aleia climbed into the king-sized bed and gasped when her skin touched the chilled, satin fabric. Apollo bounded into bed beside her, wagging his tail like the pup he truly was and lathered her in saliva. Athena jumped up and rolled over. With Aleia between the two of them, she was able to fall asleep as if she were at home.