~ 45 ~

"Please clarify this for me," Adum said as frustration filled his being

Twileigh and Aleia had just finished explaining their purpose for coming to Drethia. Millie had taken it well, but Adum was not happy about the request.

"You come here in search for Millie. Because you want her to return with you, into battle where many have already been slaughtered, to help you change time? Are all people in Anerathia as bonkers as you are?"

Millie rolled her eyes, which made his face grow redder.

"I am not a child, Adum," she said while reaching out to touch his shoulder, but he yanked away. "Cousin, adopted son to my uncle. I know why you do not wish me to go, but I must remind you of the dream."

"That's all it was. A dream. You're all I have left! I can't let you go. I won't."

Aleia cleared her throat. "I think we should let you to sort this out," she said, taking Auro's hand while tugging Inanis' by the arm. "We'll be over here."

Millie smiled gratefully at the girl and watched her lead the others away. Twileigh offered a smile before following behind.

"Adum," she said, turning her gaze back to his. "I understand your concern. You are all I have left as well. But this is why I was born. I hold the Piece of Time in the palm of my hands. If I can help them end the war, I will. Not just this, but I am also gifted with dreams. And I know you are the only one who understands their meanings as I do."

"I can't lose you," he whispered as she took his hands into her own. "I've waited so long already."

"You needn't wait any longer. But Adum, do you trust me?"

He sighed, nodding reluctantly.

"Then be at my side, as you've always been. And we will return home, together."

Millie stood on her toes and pressed a kiss to Adum's cheek. The gesture calmed him. He wrapped his arms around her and closed his eyes. Inhaled her sweet scent.

"Very well," he muttered, rubbing his nose in her hair. "Does this mean you have thought about it?"

"You know that answer," she replied with a bright smile before calling to Twileigh and Aleia.

Auro and Inanis followed the girls, but remained a littles ways behind.

"We will go with you," Millie said, nodding. "I wish to see Kinasha again . . . And I would like to know why Inanis' face lights up whenever her name is mentioned."

The young man in question blushed, which made Aleia snort with laughter.

"It's because he and Kinasha have something special," she said, earning a gentle slap to the arm. "It's true! You admitted it!"

"And?" Inanis grunted and rolled his eyes, but did not move to slap her again.

"Inan, you've become my best friend. I believe I am entitled to gloat."

The two froze. Yes, Aleia knew about the nickname. But only his sister had ever called him that. Silence fell over them, but was soon broken when Twileigh choked out a sob.

"Forgive me," she said, to Inanis, and ran towards the trees.

Immediately, Aleia said "Follow her," while shoving him in the same direction. "Inanis, go after her."

She didn't need to tell him twice. He sprinted after the crying girl. His long legs carried him swiftly. Inanis did not find Twileigh right away. But when he found her, she was curled up on the ground. She hugged her knees; her hair fell around her face and legs.

"Why?" Inanis asked, dropping to the ground beside her. "Why did you want me to forgive you?"

Twileigh shook with sobs. He did not fully understand it, but it broke his heart to see.

"Tell me," he went on, his voice dropping to a whisper. "Tell me who you are."

Her head rose as she met his gaze.

"I am Twileigh," she replied, wiping her nose on her wrist. "This body is older than my soul. Though I might be wise, I am still a young girl ... She gave me a new name ..."

"And what was your real name?"

Inanis waited as the girl reached into the pouch that hung from her waist. Producing a pair of orange spectacles and placed them on her face. In that moment, everything made sense. Inanis blinked once, but stared at the face before him. Familiar, but grown up.

"H-how?" was the only word he could bring himself to say.

***

"They've been gone a long time," Aleia said as she paced near the remains of last night's fire. "Do you think he found her? How far did they go?"

"I'm sure they are fine," Auro said as he tried to take her into his arms.

"But I know how it feels to be upset and run out like that. What if she . . ."

He stood in front of her, forcing her to stop pacing.

"Inanis will bring her back . . . Why are you so worried?"

Aleia looked into Auro's eyes, which shown green with concern. She had grown fond of his eyes. They changed color whenever Auro was angered, or sad. Happy.

"Because I know who she really is," she whispered, letting him hold her to his chest. "She cries in her mind. Wishing he would remember. Wishing Spiris would recognize her. That's why I Inanis' nickname came out like that. I keep hearing it in her mind. She'll tell them, but I think she wants them to figure it out themselves."

Puzzled, Auro pulled back and gave her the eyebrow.

"You couldn't see it?" Aleia was smiling now. "Auro, she and Inanis have the exact same eyes. Shape, color, and personality. All the same. She might have more capabilities, but they also have the same skill."

"I suppose I am not as intuitive as you are," he chuckled, raising his hands to cup her cheeks. "So, what you are saying is tha-"

"I'll tell you after you've kissed me," she cut him off and pulled his face to hers.

"Why am I subjected to this lunacy?"

The pair pulled away. Their lips made a loud popping sounds.

"Ew!" Twileigh said, wiggling her hands back and forth in mock-disgust.

"Alright, I know you're just being mean," Aleia said in mock-accusation, but then began smiling. "I'm glad you're okay, Twileigh."

"Glint," Inanis said, and it was now that Aleia noticed the way he was hugging her. In a manner that only a brother would ever hug a sister when he loved her as much as Inanis adored Glint. Tight.

Aleia squealed in delight.

"But Spiris has to figure it out on his own," Glint said with a sigh. "Unless he doesn't, then Inan will help him."

"Alright, then I guess it's time we return to No Man's Land."

Millie and Adum approached at that moment. And all were in agreement that they needed to go now.