E L E V E N

E L E V E N
Weapon of Light

I COULD DISTINCTIVELY feel the frost creeping up my arms as the creature neared. It wasn't in view yet, but I knew the feeling all too well having experienced it more than once. The cold rush that burst into the air, the chill that ran the course of one's spine, and the way one's throats would dry up as if it were the Sahara desert.

One of the creatures was here, but I had no wish to find out which.

"Let's go!" Not even bothering to turn my voice down, I sprinted, my left hand clasped around Minnie's free hand tightly while my right held onto the white pistol. Whatever it was, it must be valuable seeing that not only does it look pricey, the riddle had also led us to it.

Somewhere through the run, Bella must have slowed, legs almost failing to support her own weight before a traitorous pull in the rug came to view. It caused her to trip over the fold of the rug and land on the floor with a resonating thud. The sound made me turn back, and instinctively, I raced back to where Bella was. In one swift movement, I bent down in one rapid motion to pick my friend up and haul her back onto her feet.

"Bella, come on," I said with increased urgency. The cold that was sweeping in was almost even bitterer than the North Pole's winter's frost.

And then, like a scene straight out of a horror movie, the ceilings chilled to freezing temperatures and was covered with a blanket of white as icicles dripped dangerously low from the wooden ceiling. I made the mistake of looking up, my sight blurring for a second in the cold when I noticed the creature.

And there it was, in all its glory, large as the size of three fully grown men. This time, a fiery ruby-colored cloak bellowed from behind instead of a midnight black one, flowing harshly in the wind as it curved the corner. The walls began to creak, the cold ice spreading further forth towards me as it proceeded in front. He – it – was floating above the ground, hovering around two inches above the wooden boards.

I could feel its non-existent beady little eyes landing upon Bella and me before it narrowed and the creature swerved, charging towards the both of us at full speed ahead. My eyes widened into the size of saucers, panic clogging up my airway as I did the first instinctual thing I could: pull out the pistol and aimed for the creature's middle.

Not exactly knowing how to operate a gun, my long fingers curled around the trigger, mimicking exactly what I had seen from action movies before. A single bullet the color of a gleaming stark white shot out, miraculously hitting the creature right in its abdomen.

Where the bullet had made contact with the mythical creature, a small circle surrounding the bullet appeared, the cloth and bones in the said circle dissipating into the air with a hiss. It released a shrill scream before turning away. As its voice echoed, a sound wave was produced, forcing me backward and falling to the ground with a slam before it disappeared out of sight.

"What was that?" Minnie asked, and I could feel her hands around my arm in an attempt to pull me back to my feet.

"War," Cassiel said, helping Bella to her feet as well. "That was one of War's little spirits. Easily distinguished by the red cloak. It certainly resembles the man behind that little freak show."

"Great. So there is actually more than one of those creatures that are out for our blood?" Bella whined, cursing out a rather colorful vocabulary.

"There are as many of those as those four horsemen could master. In other words, there could be hundreds of them roaming this boathouse at any given moment, depending on their strength."