Prologue

There is a grand piano in the middle of the abandoned ballroom, Jungkook observes. Lonesome as it is graciously blanketed by the harsh glow of a spotlight, the instrument appears awfully isolated when compared to all the covered furniture sprawled around the dilapidated space of the olden mansion.

The grand piano is ebony black, polished in sleek lacquer and finished with golden trims tracing gently across the outline of its structure. Standing alone underneath a single bright light, something about its image spells a grandiose picture of majesty- and with the intricate arcs and decorations that make up the inner architecture of the olden ballroom, there lies a sense of history and luxury between the small cracks of marble pillars.

Unceremoniously, cold, veiny hands grace the smooth wooden surface with his touch, prickly as it always is with such a foreign presence. His fingers dip down to the priorly untouched piano keys- quietly dusting off the few specks of grime that have tainted them over the course of a few years.

With a sigh, the hand is wiped with a handkerchief and moves to adjust the young man's dark suit, before he looks forward into the remaining darkness of the ballroom; vague and mysterious like many of his other family members.

At face value, Jeon Jungkook is majesty in his own right- at least, long before he has fallen from grace. And while it is his first day here in the idiosyncratic landscapes of Death City, Nevada, he can freely admit that there is a sense of liveliness in the atmosphere that never once existed in the monotone spaces of his family's soulless manor.

Bristling, he adjusts his tie this time, frowning at the dark red shade that encompasses his dress shirt. Seeing this hue reminds him all too familiarly of a house he couldn't even call home- adding that with the lone piano standing silently under a single shining light, and the nostalgia that hits him tastes somewhat bittersweet.

Jungkook slides up his cufflinks to check his watch, the golden hue of its material glinting ominously in the bare lighting. His future landlord should be here now to meet him, no matter how ungodly the hour is. Why they've set up such a shady place and time to rendezvous is far beyond him, but he chose not to question it considering the lack of time he had while running away.

In his other hand, he holds a dark briefcase, filled with all the cash he could salvage from the vault in the mansion. His old man would surely freak once he sees the damage done- that is, if the man could even find him anymore.

Looking around the sad excuse of a ballroom, the young man lets out a quiet sigh. Americans aren't quite the best at preserving their historical landmarks, as it seems. Olden buildings, despite their age, has always appeared so beautiful in the gentle veins of Florence's nightlife. He couldn't really say the same for this abandoned restaurant, unfortunately.

'I did not read the newspaper before leaving a few days ago...but there had been a fuss over recent attacks in this city, I'm sure of it,' he muses to himself silently, blankly assessing the vast darkness of the decrepit space. Well, if there is a perfect place to be murdered in cold blood, this must be it. His landlord must be a crazy adrenaline junkie to want to meet here at one in the morning.

No matter, though. He is sure that he'll get to his lodgings soon enough for as long as he maintains his patience.

Just as the thought crosses his mind, a loud screech resounds from where the old mahogany doors of the building open unceremoniously, allowing the smallest sliver of light to enter the ballroom. The light disappears with the arrival of a new individual, who stands at the entrance with a lazy yawn escaping her. Here, Jungkook gathers that the newcomer is indeed female.