Save the Oceans

Originally, the planet is green, the oceans are blue. Yet as of the moment, the earth is changing for you and for me.

Oceans are supposed to be oceans. They are the kind of places that will take all your worries away by just simply inhaling clean air or by simply seeing our own reflections from its cold, crystal clear waters as the aquatic animals swim freely for our pleasure.

Several documentaries online reveal a shocking estimate of about 8 million tons of plastic waste diving into the oceans for over a year.

This contradicts the idea that we are all supposed to live with harmony. This makes us become murderers of innocent marine creatures. They are like babies who do not deserve to be treated so bad because they have done nothing wrong. They only exist as a gift to humanity.

Looking at a sea lion's neck tied with a plastic fishing rope, a sea-gull's stomach full of micro plastics, sea horses clinging into the stem of cotton buds instead of another seahorse's tail is devastating. With the advancements in science and technology for modernization, we are rapidly poisoning ourselves and other animals. Nature has a way of revenge and we can never control it. We never know how it would impact humanity.

Humans claim that they have the highest level of intellect among the living things ever created. Why don't we start experimenting to find ways on how to eliminate the plastics we carelessly throw at the oceans? After all, intelligence is vain if it is not for the benefit of the society.

This is not only the task for the scientists. We, the consumers, have also been so reliant to plastic ever since it was created. Undeniably, plastics make our everyday life easier and more convenient. The moment we wake up in the morning, we open a sachet of coffee while some use plastic cups if they are in a hurry. The bathroom door, the soap and shampoo containers, toothbrushes, the clothing we wear are all a variety of plastic.

We have to find alternative ways to keep our plastic wastes away from the oceans. We can start by reusing eco-friendly bags for shopping just like what we do in our province. This may get small effects but if the business sectors all over the world use materials that are eco-friendly for their shopping bags and products, it could lessen the number of tons of plastic we throw into the waters.

Governments have to start now in pursuing laws that will lessen plastic wastes in the ocean. Proper waste disposal system has to be revived, developed and implemented depending upon the needs of the society.

We have to act now before it is too late. This not for us alone but also for the future generations so they would be thankful to us for giving them the opportunity to live as it was in the days in the Garden of Eden.