5.3) The Midpoint

Often the midpoint is where an author struggles to keep the story interesting. This is usually where a story drags.

A good story contains key plot events. Remember, to create a story readers love, these events must happen at the right time — including the midpoint.

At the midpoint, you'll be taking your readers on a journey where the protagonist moves from a reactionary mode to a proactive mode.

How To Make Your Midpoint Sparkle

At the midpoint, making something terrible or life-changing happen to your protagonist will raise the stakes.

Your protagonist needs to find the strength to deal with whatever horrible thing you've made happen or they'll lose everything.

Because of this, they'll decide to do something and take the rest of the book to do it. Meaning, the event has to be significant.

At the midpoint your reader should understand what direction your story is moving in.

Even though the midpoint is an exceptional event, remember the climax has to have even higher stakes.

Famous Midpoints

Note: there are story spoilers, so don't read this section if you want to read the book or see the movie.

Gone Girl: Nick wants to improve his image and gives a press conference. Amy's "secret" best friend attacks, demanding to know what he did with Amy. Nick must now get proactive if he's going to save himself.

The Martian: Mark Watney finds out his supplies are delayed and believes he's going to die on Mars. This results in him trying to figure out how to live long enough for the supplies to get to him.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone: During a Quidditch match, Harry's Nimbus 2000 broom takes Harry on a ride. Snape casts a spell. Hermione lights Snape's cloak on fire. Harry can't ignore all this and must become proactive.

 Harry can't ignore all this and must become proactive

Twilight: Bella sees Edward's true power. This strengthens how she feels about him, and she'll do anything to be with him.

Placement Of The Midpoint

The Midpoint should be somewhere between 45% and 55% in your novel. If this midpoint comes too early or too late, the story won't feel balanced.