(2)

"Maybe it won't be so bad," I mutter to myself as I near my parents front door.

When I had pulled up several cars already lined the driveway. Usually I would see a few cars I'd recognize,but tonight they all seemed to be strangers. I reached back to pat myself on the shoulder before opening the door.

"Sweetheart you made it!" My mother calls out,gaining some unwanted attention my way. I awkwardly pat her back as she pulls me in for a tight squeeze.

"It's good to see you too mom. Who's all here though? I haven't seen our cousins' cars yet."

She waves off the question with a bright smile." Your uncle and his wife are here, but we have a few people from some agencies here as well."

"Agencies?"

"Don't be silly sweetheart. Those idol agencies."

I freeze at the mention of idols.Now don't get me wrong I grew up loving all sorts of idols.I even had tons of albums from a few groups I really liked. But never, never in my wildest dreams would I think that those companies would be in my childhood home.

"And why exactly are they here? Last time I checked dad was a building contractor."

She guides me a little further away from prying ears and eye's before leaning in rather closely. "Now don't be alarmed,but they're here because of a possible marriage proposal."

"A marriage proposal for who?"

"You."

I open my mouth to scream,but she quickly covers it with her hand." You can't freak out Aera. These companies have been scouting out potential brides through their employee's. Since your uncle is a very respected person in SM, they're now looking through his oldest female relatives."

"And why couldn't SooYong be here for that! I'm to young to get married mom!" 

"They've done stuff like this for years darling. How do you think all of those idols end up getting married and still have a job after?"

I would almost guarantee the look on my face was one that could kill." I don't want to be the bride of some idol mom! I want to marry a nice young man who likes me for me. You're going crazy if you think I'm marrying a man just because he has money or it'll benefit the company in some way."

"There's no guarantee that they'll even pick you Aera. They host diner parties like these in order to get to know the girls better. Just answer any of their questions and it'll be over before you know it. Okay?"

I want to say no so badly to my mother, but the pleading look on her face has me caving in seconds." If I do this for you then you have to promise you're never setting me up on another blind date and you'll let me choose how I want to conduct my dating life?"

"Deal."

Faster than I could blink, my mother grabs my hand and is whisking me away from our corner towards the table. Most of the intimidating business men are already seated,while some seem to be waiting for something.That something turned out to be me.

"Gentlemen if you'll please have a seat,"My father says as he takes his place at the head of the table.

A few minutes of people passing around dishes and settling in happens before the questioning starts.

"So you are Miss Choi Aera, correct?" A man with slicked back hair asks. His looks has me thinking about all of those 50's movies and I try my best to hide the laugh that so badly wants to make an appearance.

"Yes sir."

" And how old are you ma'am?"

"I just turned 19 back in May."

I see a few men nod as they write down whatever I saw into a notebook. For the next hour I'm bombarded with questions that range in topic from my favorite color to which hand I write with. As the questions began to run out so did the talking and thankfully I got a little break. It wasn't until a few of them started leaving did I really get the sense that I was finally free.

"I can finally go home and watch the new SpongeBob  episode I was forced to miss," I mutter under my breath.

"Oh you like watching cartoons?" A voice beside me asks, startling me.

I turn wide-eyed at the man who had heard what I said. My mother would have my head if she knew that he had heard such childish words come from my mouth." Uhm yes sir. Sorry for being so childish."

"There's no need to apologize Miss Choi. We all have a childish side to us every now and then. If you don't mind can I ask you one more question?"

"Sure I don't see why not?"

"What is your favorite town to visit in Korea and why?"

I squinted a little at his question. Out of every one that was asked of me tonight, this one was the most normal in my books. I thought back to the many vacations we took as a family and instantly one came to mind. " Gwangju. I loved the mountain that overlooks the cities and the parks that commemorate the historical uprising in the 80's. It was a cool place to go site-seeing."

"Thank you Aera and it was a pleasure meeting you tonight. I hope you enjoy your show later," The man responds with a smile before turning to join the others leaving out the front.

"See honey that wasn't so bad. Plus if you ever decide to become famous those men have already seen your face and you'd have a higher chance of making it!"

The enthusiasm on her face is just too much for me to handle for one night." If you two will excuse me I have a show I need to be watching at home. I love you both and remember that we're never doing this again!"

I ave goodbye to both of my parents before practically sprinting to my car. I've never felt so relieved getting into my car after what's felt like a marathon. Thankfully I can push this night to the back of my mind and I'l never have to worry about it again. SpongeBob here I come.