Los Angeles

Izzy's POV:

The day Alex left Sheffield was one of the most tragic ones in my life. The way he had barely cared about me after all these years of friendship, the way he had totally dismissed me, the way he had left me behind when he had promised not to. It broke my heart into a million pieces, shattered it to smithereens. Even after we'd spent so many afternoons writing songs together and witnessing how his band became more and more popular, he didn't even care when the time to say good bye arrived. It all started the night of his eighteenth birthday, in which he was fervently knocking at my balcony's door, pleading for me to go up to my rooftop with him because he had some urgent news to tell me.

"So?" I urged him. "What is it, Alex?" He gulped harshly before speaking up, and when he did, he fixed his eyes intently on mine.

"I'm going to LA, Iz" He sentenced, and that was enough to make my heart stop.

"LA?" I repeated. "But that's like the city which is the most opposed to you!" I complained.

"I know" He whispered. "But Mark, you know, our manager, he says we'll have bigger opportunities over there"

"I... I suppose I understand" I muttered, looking away from him and trying to fight back my tears.

"Izzy..." He trailed off, taking my chin in his hands and making me face him. "Please, don't do this"

"I'll just miss you, that's all" I whimpered, letting a tear roll down my cheek. Alex stretched his hand to clear it away, but I simply took his hand and lowered it down. "But this is your biggest dream, so just do it, Al. I want nothing but the best for you"

"Izzy..." He whined, looking actually hurt. "I wish I didn't have to"

"I know" I nodded. "And Sophie? What about her?" I inquired, trying to change the conversation's topic as fast as I could. Alex and Sophie had been dating for a while now, which had also caused us not to spend as much time together, making me start developing a sort of resentment towards him. Lately, Alex had begun getting too much attention from girls. It wasn't bad, but I knew it was only because his band was growing bigger. It wasn't like Alex wasn't pretty; he had a really sweet face and such a caring way of being, but he wasn't exactly your typical rock star image. He was more on the good boy side rather than on the bad boy one, and his acne was still the main cause of his nightmares.

"I broke up with her" Alex admitted. "I don't think a relationship between us can work when there's so much distance in the way"

"So does that mean you won't be traveling here for a visit every now and then?" I spat.

"Izzy... please" He begged. "I don't know. I promise I will come back home whenever I can, but it just doesn't depend only on me"

"Yeah" I murmured. "I guess you're right. I just thought I was going to have you here for a little longer. I was hoping you would be there for the first time I ever had to go to college and that sort of stuff, you know"