Coming home

Dr. Bloom just finished a double shift at New Amsterdam. The cab pulls over at the lavish apartment building with she has tried so hard to avoid for months. The familiar doorman greets her as always.

"Merry Christmas, Dr. Bloom. Welcome home. We haven't seen you in awhile."

Lauren gives him a nod of recognition as she rushes through the lobby to get to the elevators, trying her hardest to avert her eyes from the lit up tree in the middle of the lobby

Once she gets in the elevator, Lauren pushes the Penthouse button and quietly stands back awaiting for the elevator to reach her floor. As much as she's tried avoiding all reminders of Christmas, she can't turn away from the sounds of "Deck the Halls" blaring in the elevator.

Finally as the doors open to her floor, Lauren reaches her door and turns her key to a huge penthouse, sparse with furniture, lacking of decorations. EMPTY. She has inherited this place and the emptiness it holds when she lost her parents in a car crash last year on Christmas Day. Avoiding home has been something she is used to for the past couple of months. Working beyond recommended amount of hours. But this holiday, the avoidance didn't work. Words of casey ring in her head. "You need help."

Lauren puts her bags down, walk to the master bedroom and find it the same as the year before. Lauren hasn't touched anything in this room since finding out her parents died. Bed still made in the manner her mother makes. An empty mug sitting on the dresser, once filled with the coffee her dad drinks each morning.

As she looks into the room, Lauren is once again hit with the feelings of loneliness. Having Floyd in her life for a few months helped with this dread but he's moved on and once again she's alone.

Lauren steps into the shower and freshens up. Afterwards, she goes into her childhood bedroom, one that she has called her own once again since moving back, to put on her pajamas, get ready for bed. Still trying to fight the sleep that will soon overcome her, she turns on the tv. Flipping through the channels, she lands on a Christmas movie, based on the classic tale of Ebenezer Scrooge. A story that was once her childhood favorite.

As the opening credits start to roll and the intro music plays, Lauren has finally fallen asleep.