4 (Allura)

I spent the morning of the third day on board the Atlas explaining Altean customs to Hunk for what humans call 'New Year'. As I talked, Hunk cooked lunch for everybody on board. On Altea, we'd spend time cooking large meals and traditionally, we'd hang aeslade, a plant that surfaced from the ground as the deca-phoeb ended and a new one began. Some citizens made jewellery and crowns from the pale purple leaves and warm yellow flowers that bloomed on it. Some enthusiasts, such as Coran, would spend the last evening of the deca-phoeb playing Monsters and Mana.

Hunk found all of them intriguing and asked what sort of meals we made.

"We liked to use the eggs of a Waroth in cakes and fry them to serve with fish. But they went extinct along with Altea, I assume."

"Well, we can use chicken eggs. Those are the most common kind of egg we eat on Earth," Hunk suggested. At my expression, he elaborated. "Chickens are a kind of bird. They can't really fly but people keep them on farms. Their eggs probably won't do the Altean Waroths justice, but it's the closest we'll get."

"Thank you, Hunk," I smiled. "It means a lot that you're thinking of me and Coran."

"And it's the least I - or anyone - can do," He seemed to emit sunlight from his very being. "We all care about you. You deserve to be happy, just like everyone else." I felt tears sting my eyes. I threw my arms around Hunk and allowed the tears to fall and eventually cease.

"Thank you so much," I sniffled, letting the last of the tears disappear. "You deserve the whole universe and more, Hunk," He let go of me with a nod, and we moved on from the moment.

"So, on Altea, there wasn't anything like Christmas at all?" Hunk asked.

"No, the only celebration, other than birthdays, was the Turning of the Deca-Phoeb," I replied. "Which is why it was such a huge event. The idea that there's a new deca-phoeb, new space for forgiveness and redemption, I suppose."

"That's similar to the Earth idea of New Year," Hunk responded, continuing his cooking. It smelt delicious, but when did Hunk's cooking ever not smell delicious? I continued observing him. Even on Altea, I'd been hopeless at cooking, so I'd decided to try to learn something new as one of my 'New Year's resolutions'.

We continued going in peaceful quiet until a message over the loudspeaker interrupted us.

"Good afternoon to everybody on board," Shiro's voice rang through the entirety of the Atlas. "In two nights' time, we'll be hosting our very own Garrison Christmas formal, or, to put it simply, Christmas party, aboard the Atlas. Veronica McClain, Colleen Holt, Commander Sam Holt and Commander Curtis Garza and myself have been the leading planners. We're hoping for everyone to attend in fairly formal clothing. Thanks. Oh, wait - any questions, see me or any of the above listed people. Thanks."

Hunk and I shared a quick glance before breaking into grins. We knew that it'd be dates galore. I supposed the scramble for a date prior to a dance or party was an intergalactic thing. After our short exchange, we returned to our cooking. Hunk showed me how to use the knives properly and to make sure chicken was properly cooked all the way through before eating it, explain the dangers of a sickness that one would be vulnerable to if they ate undercooked chicken.

We were interrupted yet again by Lance entering the room quite loudly, a wide, excited grin across his face from eye to eye.

"Hey guys!" He beamed. "Hunk, Allura," He inclined his head at Hunk and me as our names rolled from his mouth. Though Lance was generally a fairly energetic person, this seemed... unnatural. "Allura." He turned to me.

"Lance, is there something you need?" I queried slightly awkwardly.

"Well- I was hoping to talk to you alone." His eyes darted around the kitchen.

"Okay," I wiped my hands on my apron and followed him into the hallway beyond the kitchen. "Is everything okay?"

"More than okay, Allura. I'm sure you heard the... thing... over the loudspeaker, and, well, I was wondering if you'd want to go to the dance with me?" His face flushed and he wrung his hands slightly as he spoke. I felt dreadful anticipating what I was about to say, but I couldn't ruin the amazing friendship I had with Lance. His beautiful personality and so-called charm were things I loved about him, just... not romantically.

"Lance. I-" I could hardly bring myself to decline to his pleading bright blue eyes, full of hope. "I'm sorry. I cherish you, so much. But I don't feel that way about you." I couldn't bring myself to meet those eyes as he replied.

"Oh. Okay. Sorry, I- I shouldn't have asked. I guess- I'll just go." He stammered, and fled before I could say a word. I turned back to the kitchen, conflicted, unsure of whether to pursue Lance or to go back to Hunk. My decision was made for me when Hunk came out to check on us.

"Allura? What happened?"

"Lance just asked me to be his date to the dance," I gulped. Hunk froze. His face passed through a series of emotions before I interrupted his reverie. "I said no."

"If you think that going with him won't be beneficial to either of you, it's probably for the best," Hunk reasoned. "You don't want to lie to him."

"I really don't. And I thought I'd made it clear over time that I wasn't interested." I mused.

"Sometimes Lance can get quite fixated on things. Especially with girls. That's why he presents himself as someone who's popular with women. Because it helps to boost his confidence. He's quite insecure right at his core."

"D- Did I do the right thing, then? Did I just hurt him more than I thought I did?" I asked nervously, guilt already beginning to gnaw at my gut.

"No, Allura. You did absolutely the right thing," Hunk reassured me. The slight weight immediately lifted. "If you'd agreed, then he might think you're more interested than you are, and then having to either lie or break it off would damage his self-esteem even more."

"Thank you, Hunk," I spoke softly. "I really don't know what I'd do without you as my friend."