14 (Shiro)

Sorry this chapter took me so lONG to get out! 

-

"Shiro, what do we do?" Allura's speech was frantic over the comms as I held onto Lance while Keith seated himself in the cockpit.

"Hunk, let the Atlas know we need medics, and fast. They must be ready by the time we arrive. Pidge, will your leg be okay until we stabilise Lance's condition?"

"Copy that," Hunk responded.

"I'll be alright. The bleeding isn't- it isn't a lot, but I'll need to be cleaned up." Pidge confirmed her status, her voice shaky and fragile compared to her usual affirmative tone.

Keith easily piloted Black to the Atlas, the other Lions shortly behind. The science and Altean magic behind the construction of the Lions allowed for Red's consciousness to detect that there was something wrong and to follow the others. We reached the hangars and immediately departed, sprinting with as much haste as we could muster. My hands, both robotic and flesh, were sticky and coated in blood. It was all I could do to avoid injuring Lance further as I ran.

Lance had certainly lost consciousness, if he hadn't before. His eyes were closed, his body unmoving. Keith sprinted ahead of me, half directing me to the onboard infirmary. Hunk and Kinkade were close behind, and Allura had hung back to help Pidge.

As Keith skidded into the infirmary, I instantly laid Lance's limp figure onto a gurney, and three medics with worry-ridden eyes pushed Keith and I back slightly so as to help Lance. Kinkade, Hunk, Allura and Pidge arrived, panting slightly. I swallowed, my throat as dry as sandpaper.

"Will he be okay? I'm not aware of humans' survival from extreme blood loss," Allura asked, worry lacing her voice.

"We don't know," Hunk chewed on a fingernail, his eyes brimming with tears. Keith had wrapped his arm around Pidge, who was visibly shaking.

"We don't know," I murmured. "All we can do is wait,"

"But... what if..." Pidge's voice was broken, meek. "If something happened... his family..."

"Katie, sit down. You're injured and stressed, and you need to relax," I tried to soothe her.

"How am I supposed to relax when my... best friend is literally dying?" She exploded, Keith tightening his grip on her to avoid any physical outburst. "Lance could die, Shiro!"

"I know... I know."

"C'mon, sit down," Keith muttered to her, helping her to walk to a bed. Pidge's face was contorted with discomfort, as though she was suffering far more than she'd been letting on. Pidge continued grumbling at Keith as he made attempts to pacify her.

"Shiro? What are the medics' names?" Hunk caught my attention with a tap on the shoulder.

"Isabelle and Elizabeth, if my head doesn't deceive me," I sighed.

"Okay," Hunk smiled somewhat grimly. "Uh, Isabelle?" One of the medics, freckled with shoulder length brown hair and green eyes glanced up from Lance's wound, which she had been cleaning.

"Yeah?"

"Will- Will he be okay?"

"It's too soon to say, but I'll keep you informed. We've stabilised his condition, but I think the best thing you can do is get some sleep," she suggested.

"Okay. Thanks," Hunk smiled softly at her, a slight glimmer in the general darkness of the gloom and worry that suffocated everyone in the room.

"I think that's a good idea," I confirmed, bidding goodnight to Keith and Allura. "You two should get some rest." The three of them left, Hunk glancing back at Pidge and me silently. I sat beside her on the bed and rubbed her back with my robotic hand.

"He'll be okay,"

"You can't promise that, Shiro," Pidge sniffled. "When I thought Matt was dead, it felt like my whole world was torn away from me. He was my best friend for my whole life and then he just left,"

"I know how that feels," My eyes watered slightly at the thought of Adam, how I hadn't had the chance to even say goodbye.

"And then I believed he was gone," Pidge turned her face away from me. "I felt like I had been ripped into pieces. And I really, really don't want to feel that again. I can't imagine how it must've been for you, Shiro,"

"It hurts. It hurts a lot," I admitted, rubbing the tears from my eyes. "But don't worry about Lance. He's a fighter, yeah?"

"Yeah." Pidge slumped over into my side, gripping my jacket tightly. I lightly hugged her, aware of the gash in her leg, the bleeding of which had stopped, but the wound still needing attending to.

*

Pidge had slowly fallen asleep, and I was beginning to join her in the blissful realm of slumber. However, soon after, the other medic, Elizabeth, awoke us.

"Uh, Shir- er, Captain, he's stable. We've dressed the wound and cleaned it to decrease the risk of infection, but we can't know how long he'll be out for,"

"Oh my- Thank God," Pidge breathed.

"And on that note, I'll clean up that gash," Elizabeth added with a grimace at Pidge's bloody leg.

"Is it okay for me to leave? I need to check in with everyone, and should let the Holts know that Pidge and Lance are okay," I inclined my head towards the door.

"Yeah, that's fine. We'll sort you out, Pidge," Elizabeth grinned awkwardly.