Chapter 5

The next thing Sasha knew, the light was streaming into her bedroom. She had gotten so caught up in reading, that she had failed to notice the night pass on angel's wings. The sun was coming up over the east though her apartment faced the west, it was morning. She checked the clock that stood on her bedside table, and it was just after 6 am. Groaning and looking around the bed, she was stiff from reading in almost the same position all night. There were used tissues everywhere and an empty Kleenex box on the floor. There was just no way she could go to work that morning; between the lack of sleep and the emotional roller coaster, this was a sick day if ever one was needed.

She reached over and grabbed her cell phone, which was at the foot of the bed and turned off her alarm which was automatically set to a specific time every morning and then pulled up the HR department from her office that was in her contact list and pressed call. She had more then enough days collected where she could take a day or two off if she wanted. As she waited to be connected with the proper person who she could talk to, Sasha decided that she would take the rest of the week off and maybe come back on Friday. It was after all only Tuesday, and she needed time to herself to think.

Upon reaching the woman in charge, she told her that she wasn't feeling that great and would be out the rest of the week and may come in on Friday if she felt better. Sasha also asked that Kathy is informed as well. She knew she had to still tell Kathy her decision regarding the Chernobyl piece but this was too much, and Sasha needed to figure out how she felt first. Even nearly 30 years later, everything was still very raw for her; especially remembering Vasya. But he was only the beginning. After getting off the phone, she put it aside and rolled over in her bed with the diary in her hands, clutched to her heart, and fell into a deep, dreamless sleep.

At 11 am, she was finally awoken by the incessant ringing of her cell phone. She groped for it with her hand as her eyes were still closed. Finally, grabbing it and throwing it to the side she was laying on, she rubbed her eyes and yawned as she squinted and looked at who was calling. It was evident that she wasn't going to pick up in time nor did she try. But once she was able to see clearly, the phone had a long list of missed calls. Most were from her mother, but some were from work too. Kathy's office and cell phone were among those numbers. The one that was most prevalent was her mother, from home, work, and cell phone.

Sasha just never slept in unless she was exhausted. So her mother was a big ball of worry considering how their conversation went the night before. Ekaterina knew there was something that her daughter was keeping from her, but she also knew Sasha was a grown woman and when she felt comfortable to speak about it, she would. That is the first person Sasha called, and Ekaterina answered on the first ring.

"Sashenka, finally; what is going on? Are you alright? I've been calling all morning." Ekaterina explained worriedly.

"Good morning, mama. I just overslept. I didn't realize how tired I was from the trip. I have decided to take the rest of the week off from work, and maybe if I feel up to it, I'll go in on Friday." Sasha yawned as she explained; she still didn't want to tell her mother anything.

"Is this tiredness new? Maybe you need a higher dose in your armour?"

Ah, yes the armour. How could Sasha forget? Another little gift Chernobyl left to her personally that she didn't find out until she was a teenager. She had to be on that medication for the rest of her life. Speaking of which, she reached over to her bedside table, and grabbed the bottle with the medicine, took two pills out of it and with a swig of water from the water bottle on the bedside table, downed the armour pills as she was technically not supposed to take later than 9 am every day. Today, was an exception.

"Thanks for reminding me to take them today, mama. I forgot since I overslept. And to answer your question, no I don't need a higher dose. I just think I overdid it a bit this trip. So going to rest up."