iv. ❝ midnight calls.❞

° ° °

° ° °

I was tired.

As I laid in bed, staring up at the ceiling, I waited for the fatigue and sleep to overcome me. Like I had been waiting for the past four hours.

Physically, my body could barely take the sleepless nights, full of twisting and turning in bed and mind bombarded with questions and thoughts that would not leave. And recent events have seemed to only contribute to my insomnia.

Unfortunately, my mind was far from done, still alert and wide awake, anxiety running; as it seemed to always do.

After laying there, eyes drooping but mind seemingly running on caffeine for twenty more minutes, I finally gave up.

Frustrated, I ripped the covers off me and disregarded the time stamp on the clock resting on the bedside stand. The numbers '5.31 a.m.' seemed to taunt me.

When I finally made it to the kitchen and poured myself a glass of water, I downed the cup in one go, plopping it down onto the dining table and releasing a long, weary sigh.

Ever since the banquet three days ago, my mind has been plagued with thoughts and questions, more so than usual. Who was Samuel Knight on the phone call with? Why did he mention Teresa? Was it even about Teresa? Or did he mean someone else with the name 'Mattar'?

And, to top it off, the principal's talk with me from a few days ago seemed to also join in along the ride to overwhelm my thoughts.

"OH! Oh- Katherine! You scared me! What are you doing, sitting here in the dark?"

The sudden exclaim caught me by surprise. I turned my head sharply and Mom stood there, eyes wide, still in her sleepwear, hair tousled and not brushed through.

I smiled wearily at her. "Morning, Mom."

A look of alarm crossed over Mom's face as she scanned me from head to toe, probably noticing my eyebags and tensed posture. She knew about my insomnia but that never stopped her from worrying. "Katherine, you should really be back in bed-"

"I'm fine, Mom." I said, trying to show it wasn't a big deal. She shouldn't worry. It wasn't her problem.

Although she looked unconvinced, she nodded anyway. Mom walked over to take a glass and poured a cup of water for herself. After she finished, she set the cup down, turning to leave the kitchen.

"I'm going back to bed," She paused for a moment. "Go get some rest, at least." She finished, then leaving the room.

I wish.

° ° °

I looked over at Teresa.

Her eyes were glued to her drink, fingers wrapped tightly around the glass cup and lips pressed.