9. Assassins and Trails

Moonwatcher

Everything was going great. 

So, naturally, they ran into an assassin.

The Jade Winglet had been travelling through the storm for an hour and when it stopped, they were on the boundary of the Sky Kingdom. The dragonets had been lounging beside a lake full of clear, sparkly water, and were completely exhausted.

They were also completely unprepared for the disc that almost impaled Winter.

Quick as lightning, a flash of silver streaked towards the IceWing prince. If it wasn't for his fast reflexes, he would've been decapitated. It still grazed his neck before thudding into an oak behind them. The arc, angle and aim were perfect. It was a miracle Winter was still alive. 

For a few moments, they all just stared at the weapon, stunned and speechless. Finally, Winter turned to the direction from which the disc had been thrown. 'Who's there?' he called out, with way too much confidence and steadiness in his voice for a dragon who'd narrowly escaped headlessness.

A slender icy-blue shape leaped out of the trees. Her eyes were blue, the same colour as Winter's, and on her snout and wings were dark blue freckles. Every time she moved, her scales seemed to ripple. She blended in with the shadows perfectly, and around her neck was a silver locket. From a delicate alabaster sheath poked out the hilt of a dagger made of ice, and she was clutching throwing stars. 

The IceWing gracefully landed in front of the Jade Winglet.

Winter gasped. 'Nightfrost!' She narrowed her eyes, puzzled, and tilted her head at him. 'Don't you recognize me? I'm Winter!' Suddenly her eyes glowed happily. 'Really? Oh, it's really you! Winter!' The IceWing flung her wings around their friend. 'They told me you were dead!' 'Apparently not, since I'm in front of you,' said Winter, smiling. 'How are you?' She stepped back from him, grinning. 'I'm great. I didn't expect to run into you!'

Winter looked so happy that Moon felt a twinge of jealousy. But she pushed it away quickly, furious at herself. If he has a girlfriend, why does it feel like he likes me? I'm not leading him on, am I? Moon snapped at the unwanted thoughts, internally growling. Qibli noticed her tight expression and gave her a concerned look. She smiled at him. Qibli! How could she forget? Even if everyone else deserted her, she'd still have him. I don't deserve him, she thought sadly.

'Guys, meet Princess Nightfrost, my cousin sister,' Winter said, beaming. Nightfrost turned her startling ice-blue gaze to the other dragonets, and frowned. 'A SandWing, SeaWing, RainWing and NightWing? Winter, what -?' 'They're my winglet,' he explained quickly. Her gaze cleared. 'Yes. The Jade Winglet. Icicle told me all about you.'

From her tone, Moon guessed that Icicle probably hadn't complimented them. 'Kinkajou, Qibli, Turtle and Moonwatcher,' murmured Nightfrost, her talon drifting over each of them. 'Where's the firescales - Peril?' 'Back at Jade Mountain Academy,' said Qibli warily, watching their new acquaintance.

 'I think we need to compare notes,' cut in Winter, critically surveying the tension between the IceWing princess and his friends. 'Basically, Nightfrost is, like, a quester and an assassin - she goes on special missions for the queen. Her skills are legendary.' 'I've heard of you,' said Qibli, frowning. 'Queen Thorn's Outclaws had a description of any undercover secret spy dragon - I'm pretty sure you were on that list.'

'How old are you?' interrupted Kinkajou. 'Four,' replied Nightfrost smilingly. 'I was hatched around the same time as Winter and Icicle.' Moon's eyes widened. Clearly Qibli was thinking the same thing, for he said, 'Only? You go on special missions - for the queen - and you're only four?' 'Hey, Deathbringer started training around the same time as me,' pointed out Nightfrost. 'To become accomplished in a field or an art, you need to start learning early.'