Fourteen

Vote and comment and share for a faster, better update!!!!

"I really wish I ate that fucking candy bar before I knocked out that asshole." Toni complained from where she laid in the farthest corner of the train car from me, holding her stomach.

"I'm sure that if you wanted, we could get off and you could get something to eat. I brought money, and you could use it to rent a car." I suggested.

"Mm, bad idea, baby." Josie said through the coms, "Josie was reported missing by Chuck yesterday, so now people are searching for the both of you."

"Yeah, I saw a blog saying they think Dead Eye kidnapped Toni and is holding her captive." Betty chimed, causing Toni to groan, lying her head down against the bulletproof vest roughly.

"Don't worry, y'all, you'll be at the Riverdale loading station in six hours." Josie assured.

"What are we supposed to do until then?" I complained.

"I don't know, but I have work in the morning, and if I don't go to sleep, I'll probably end up accidentally planting a microchip inside of my assistant's brain." Betty grumbled.

"Baby girl can't sleep without me. I'll keep the speakers on, that way you can just call or hit the distress button on your quiver to get us to wake up. There's no reason for you to in danger on a train with no passengers."

"Don't jinx it." Garbled Toni, making me sigh.

It's been almost two days, and with all the stops and unloading that has been done, our twelve hour trip has been quadrupled.

Two days in a small confined area with a woman who is so mad at me that she won't even look me in the eyes.

"Toni, we might as well try to talk, since we're gonna be here for the next six hours." I suggested, and she scoffed with the roll of her eyes.

"Why would I do that? I've been doing such a good job at ignoring you for the last thirty eight hours." She smiled, closing her eyes as she laid her hands upon her stomach flatly.

"I-I know you're mad at me, but I need you to understand; nobody was going to help me." I tried, and she rose a brow.

"People have been trying to help you." She retorted.

"An entire precinct of highly trained officers, agents and detectives were unable to do in five years what me and my two tech nerds were able to do in three months." I reminded.

"Well, maybe if you told us you knew who he was, then it would have been different!" She growled, making it my turn to scoff.

"Before or after he managed to find someone willing to take money to slit my throat while I was recovering from his attack? And what about the other people he's victimized, or the victims who aren't rich, or white, or cisgendered, Toni? What about all the kids on the southside who don't have the privilege that I have to speak up about a man as powerful as him without being beat out or gutted like a fish?" I was standing by this point, and my heart was pounding against my ribs as my nostrils flared in pure rage, "You always talk about standing up for the little guys, and giving opportunities to the kids who were born with fixed lives." My voice was trembling, fingers doing the same as my heart pounded against my ears.

"Don't you dare try and turn it around like you didn't have some personal vendetta!" She demanded, meeting my eyes as she rose from the ground, up to her feet.

"No, I'll tell you exactly how I feel, exactly what I did, and why I did it, if it really makes you feel better." I laughed, "Like the fact that I was ready to stop when I started getting close to you again, and the fact that I decided that Clara was the reason I had to keep going, because nobody was going to fight for her in the way I was, both physically, and financially." Tears fell down my face, and my eyes burned as I forced myself not to let out a sob, despite my swollen eyes and quivering lip. "I could finally make a difference for people who needed it. People like Betty, and Josie, and Clara, and Heather, and..." I trailed off, swallowing a lump in my throat. "...and you."