Prologue

My name is Ella, and I'm a member of an American spy in a branch of the government that's so secret that even the President doesn't know about it. The government has had problems with the law when trying to take down criminals, so they created Ashvale, our organization. Few are aware of our existence besides those in the government that created us, and some of those that are on our kill list. The government provides an abundance of money so that we can acquire the supplies we need to execute the job properly.

Ashvale seeks out the lost and covertly recruits them. They go for those who don't have a defined past or a promising future; those that are lost with no chance of being found; orphans and kids who haven't been adopted by the age of sixteen. They teach you to fight and kill when needed, and other random skills that could come in handy during missions. In repayment of being a spy, once you graduate you get a partner and a roof over your head; not to mention a large salary.

There's an abundance of rules in Ashvale. The consequence in breaking those rules is death. The rules are mainly survive, don't fail missions, and know that you can't escape.

There are a few new recruits that come in every now and then. They go to the group which closest matches their age. There's a graduation every year for the group of recruits that are turning eighteen years old, and this year is my year.

My group isn't the biggest, but it's also not the smallest. There's seven people in it, including me. With all the training that we do every day with fighting and technology, overall my skills have improved over the two years that I've been at Ashvale.

I was brought to Ashvale when I was sixteen. I wasn't an orphan, but I was in the system to be adopted. My future didn't look promising, so some men can and took me back to Ashvale to become a spy. I'm now eighteen years old and about to graduate from Ashvale.

Most think they have what it takes to be a spy, but it's not as easy as it sounds. It's hard work, and not everyone can make it. Unfortunately in my case, I met the requirements.