Chapter 11: So This Is How It Ends

Working on their tasks in preparation for the party, as well as their own personal commitments, the members of the Initiative - except for Thor and Loki - had taken their leave, and would return for the celebration on Friday.

Asides from Thor's tasks related to the party, he also had commitments - meeting up with the Avengers along with charity work with visiting children's hospitals, rest homes and the like.

Being put in charge of the entertainment for the party, Loki's part was relatively simple. He had to wait till the audio/visual equipment was delivered to the room and that wouldn't be for a couple of days.

At this time, SHIELD only needed him for tasks within the Initiative, and since there were no current assignments...

This would leave Beverlee and Loki alone for several hours each day.

Usually, the majority of time spent together would only be weekends at her domicile, which would have to be scheduled, but now - they had the better part of a week!

Knowing there were no problems to continue to stay in the suite - it was the place officially designated for Beverlee to recover anyway...

Loki found this quite a delicious situation.

"Beverlee," Loki said, as they sat in the living room on one of the plush couches, "let's not waste a single moment, we need to have as much fun as we can while we're here. What should we do?"

This prompted Beverlee to recall an iconic line from a science-fiction television show, 'the more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.'

"The question should really be," Beverlee replied, with a glint in her eye, "what can't we do?"

"Oh, Beverlee," Loki said with a broad grin, reaching out to caress her cheek, "I like the way you think."

The suite became their ultimate playground and together they participated in several activities:

Teaching Beverlee lessons in self-defence. Loki proceeded to show her moves that, even for someone with an injured arm, would be able to take down or at least temporarily stop an assailant.

Playing tag - but in a careful and respectful manner so they didn't break or damage anything as they ran around in the suite.

Playing hide-and-seek. Loki was better at this game than she was.

Constructing a fort using the pillows, cushions and blankets from the three bedrooms.

Taking a long nap together in the master bedroom.

Hanging out in the master bedroom and living room (under a blanket) with mugs of tea or hot chocolate, watching classic movies on TCM.

Playing cards.

Sitting in comfy chairs and reading quietly in the study.

Dancing.

Doing the crossword puzzle in the New York Times.

Eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch in the elegant dining room. Hector was very helpful to find the right chef to satisfy their palates.

Enjoying the view from the window that overlooks Fifth Avenue.

Talking about anything and everything.

****

When Thor would return back to the suite, initially it was difficult on how to include him in their activities, as he didn't always understand what they were doing or what was the point of such frivolity.