⚠️SIX: ALL DANGERS WILL BE ELIMINATED⚠️

You were in an empty classroom, sitting on top of a desk and staring out the window. The sun was just beginning to set and it cast long shadows into the room. You swung your leg absently, eyelids heavy, mentally preparing for your leave that night.

Your heart skipped a beat when you felt a presence by the door, behind you.

"Leave me alone," you told whoever it was, hoping it was one of the boys and not something else.

"Lawrence told me to check on you," the voice replied. With a sigh you turned around to see Ethan leaning in the doorframe.

"Tell Lawrence to go choke," you replied angrily, and guilt immediately washed through you. You let out a long sigh, shaking your head, and Ethan took a couple steps in the room.

"I don't think you should go," he said thoughtfully, hopping onto a desk a few away from where you sat.

"You don't understand. I have to," you replied. "My friends are out there. I promised them... I promised him we'd stay together."

Ethan was quiet for a moment. "Maybe some of us can go with you, then. Bring them back here, where it's safe."

"No," you said. "I don't want to be in anymore debt. Just let me go and we can both forget we ever existed."

Ethan shrugged. "Try leaving if you want tonight," he began, sliding off of the desk and heading back towards the door to the classroom, "but don't think it will be easy getting out of here."

He left, leaving the door wide open. You scowled, going over and closing the door more loudly than was necessary. Then you stomped back to the desk.

What was the point of sulking? You took a breath, letting your eyes close.

The truth was, you were scared. Scared because, for the first time since the apocalypse started, you felt truly safe here. You didn't want to leave, but you had to find Jason and his dad.

You jerked, realizing you had dozed off. The sun had fully set and it was dark outside, making goosebumps erupt on your skin.

Now was the time.

You leapt off the desk, landing nimbly onto the ground and swinging on your backpack. Quietly but swiftly you opened the classroom door and hurried to where you remembered the entrance to the school was, keeping your gaze focused behind you to make sure no one was following.

A guttural snarl from outside caught your attention. You snapped your head towards the sound, terror filling your chest as you saw a silhouette move beyond the window. You seized up in fear, eyes locked on the shadow, body trembling.

Slowly but surely it passed, and you let out a sigh of relief, rushing to the front doors and pushing them open. You hurried out into the yard, towards the gate, trying not to look too much into the shadows.

You were almost there when you skidded to a halt. Standing between you and the gate was a bloody zombie, clothes still intact like someone newly turned. You gasped, backing away, and the noise caught it's attention. It lurched forward, it's mouth opening into what could've been a twisted smile, and you couldn't help but screech, moving backward so fast you tripped and landed hard on your back.

The distance between you and it was closing fast. You looked around desperately for a weapon, but there was nothing to use. You scrambled backwards, heart squeezing with the horror of it's blood-lustful eyes as it approached you.

"No!" you screamed, covering your face as it reached up it's arm, but suddenly a meaty thunk filled the air. Your eyes shot open to see Lawrence holding a board, panting, with Harry by his side.

"What were you thinking?" Harry barked suddenly, making you flinch. "You could've been killed if Lawrence and I weren't in the yard just now!"

You didn't even know what to say, so shocked about the turn of events and Harry's scolding that two tears slipped down your cheeks. His features softened and he sighed, holding out a hand to help you get up. Lawrence dropped the board in disgust, wiping the splattered blood on his pants.

"Let's get inside. The noise will have attracted more of them," Lawrence said calmly, leading the way back to the doors. You looked back at the gate, then remembered the zombie's face, and followed Lawrence. Harry picked up pace, putting an arm around you and looking around nervously for other movement.

The three of you walked to the second floor in silence, the only noise your occasional sniffle. Lawrence went into what you decided must be the main classroom for gatherings and gestured for you to sit down.

"Before I get started, I don't think we've been properly introduced," he said with a smile. "I'm Lawrence, and this is Harry. And your name?"

You suddenly felt yourself burn three shades redder, feeling like a child who got caught doing something they weren't supposed to. "(Y/n)," you said as firmly as you could, meeting Lawrence's gaze and not looking away.

"(Y/n)-" Harry began, eyes lighting up.

"It's a nice name," Lawrence interrupted. Harry's face fell and he hung behind the leader.

"But of course, we aren't here to socialize," Lawrence said, his smile never faltering. "Tonight, you put myself and Harry in danger, and went against my specific wish for you to stay in the school."

"As long as you don't do it again, we should let it go this time," Harry spoke up. "I mean, nobody's hurt, right?"

Lawrence paused to consider Harry's words.

"There's only one thing I can think to do," he said at last, and you held your breath. He closed his eyes, and when he opened them again his smile shone brighter than ever.

"You have a guard at all times," he said proudly, "and you are forbidden from leaving the building."

"That's crazy!" you cried before you could stop yourself. "And what if I don't listen?"

Harry shook his head at you, as if saying, "don't challenge him," but Lawrence seemed glad you asked.

"It means you're a danger to all of us," he said. "And all dangers will be eliminated, for everyone's safety."