Day 4: Kiss Under The Mistletoe

(Wow, this is a long one...! I fully intended to have Bronzo in here as well but it's almost midnight here and I'll have more Bronzo coming soon enough so I decided to just stick with the BGZ~ This chapter takes place in between chapters 30 and 31 of Limelight)

_____________________________________

Someone had put up mistletoe in the entrance to the light garden, and no-one would admit to doing it.

With the homecoming game, the cheer championship and even the block party behind them, the zombie community was back in the good favours of the humans of Seabrook. And a number of the zombies and humans gathered at the Christmas zombie mash were already eyeing the mistletoe and formulating plans to somehow catch that special someone underneath it. The ones who were successful would no doubt be bragging about it over the final week before school let out for the holidays.

Over the next few hours, that mistletoe would see it all.

~ CHAZ AND MACKENZIE ~

Cortez was getting sick of this.

He had spent the first half hour of the party trying to get Chaz to take his eyes off Mackenzie for just a second, but to no avail. He should be enjoying himself, not stressing over something that was so obviously bound to happen sooner or later.

"OK. Look," he finally grabbed Chaz and spun him around, making him scowl and awkwardly stumble back before he straightened up and tried to act like nothing happened. Cortez wasn't the least bit amused, "You ain't getting nowhere like this. Suck it up and go talk to her."

He gestured back towards Kenzie but that only made Chaz look at her and get distracted again. Cortez smacked him upside the head and he flinched, turning back to him while rubbing the sore spot, but said nothing.

"Come on, Chaz, she likes you. You've got nothing to lose."

"How about my dignity?"

"Yeah, you never had that. And yet all of this... whatever it is you got going on here? Mackenzie actually thinks it's cool," Cortez placed both hands firmly on Chaz's shoulders and slowly shook his head, "And no-one thinks it's cool, Chaz."

Letting down his guard for a moment, Chaz glanced back at Kenzie.

"I can't just walk up to her like that! What am I supposed to do?"

With a sly smile, Cortez turned him a little further around and pointed out the mistletoe. Chaz's eyes widened.

"Kiss her...?"

His friend nodded and he gulped. One little push from Cortez and he was on his way. It took everything he had to hide his nerves. He made his way towards the light garden, keeping his eyes on Mackenzie as she was about to walk past with Mitzi. They crossed paths a few feet away from where the mistletoe hung and Chaz took a deep breath.

"Kenzie...?"

She stopped in her tracks, as did Mitzi, and stared at him in shock, then smiled wide.

"Chaz! Hi!"

"Uh, c-can I..." oh, Z, now he was stuttering. He cleared his throat and forced himself to stop shaking, "Can I... talk to you for a sec?"

Mackenzie didn't respond until Mitzi hissed in her ear, "Yes...!"

"Yes!" she nodded, "Absolutely."

He barely noticed how the girls turned to each other to softly squeal in excitement. He was too busy hyping himself up.

Mitzi left the two of them alone and Chaz led Mackenzie out of the way of the noise and bright lights – right in the doorway of the light garden. When he stopped and looked at her, she was staring back at him hopefully and rocking back and forth on her heels, her hands behind her back. If she noticed the mistletoe, she didn't say anything.