Chapter 8

Chapter 8:

It was lucky that Therion took a good mental note of their surroundings as they had trekked their way through the hidden path toward the Chamber of Healing. He had always made a habit of ensuring that he knew the paths he took. To either look for a new path, or to retrace his steps in case of emergency. Like a quick escape.

He had never been more thankful for that force of habit as he ran through the dense foliage with Cyrus and Olberic in tow.

Alfyn was gone. He had been taken.

That was all that was running through his head. That, and the curses he aimed toward himself for not being more cautious. More suspicious. More fucking protective.

He should have known. He didn't trust that Henry character as far as he could kick him. He should have realised something was not right with the entire thing. Chamber of Healing. Flower of Life. It was like...they had been waiting for Alfyn or something.

God damn it...

Therion had to push aside his inner ramblings to focus on the task at hand when the scenery quickly changed from lush woodland to thorny vines.

"And we're back at that stupid garden," Therion muttered through gritted teeth as they paused to catch their breaths near the waterless water feature he had seen far too many times to care.

"I would hazard a guess that Henry and Beatrice actually dwell here, in the remains of that building," Cyrus murmured through his panting as he turned his attention toward the seeming hollow remains of the crumbling manor house.

That sounded more likely than not. Too much had happened in one place for it all to be a coincidence. This Garden of Unease was as suspicious as Henry and Beatrice were.

Speaking of suspicions, he was fairly certain that those statues hadn't been there when they passed through this morning.

"What is up with this place?" Therion found himself questioning aloud. "Why so many statues?"

Cyrus tore his gaze away from the building to regard the statues around them as well. His brow suddenly furrowed and his postured stiffened. Seemed like he had also noted that there appeared to be more statues than before.

"They almost appear as gargoyles," he commented as he held his chin in thought, in his usual 'pondering' pose. "Could they have been seeking protection from something?"

A movement from the corner of his eye caused Therion to turned, and he watched as Olberic approached one of the statues. Though he did so cautiously, with his hand resting on the hilt of his sword. He paused to stand directly in front one of them, a frown on his lips.

"There's...something a little too human about some of them," Olberic said, immediately gaining Therion's and Cyrus' attention. "I...unfortunately know these expressions."

He placed his hand upon the face of the statue he stood in front of. He then pushed it back, letting it fall backwards. It hit the ground, unexpectedly shattering upon impact. Bits and pieces of plaster and stone scattered in all directions. Almost as if it had exploded.

And in the very centre of the small debris field laid a skeleton. A human skeleton.

Therion felt chilled in realisation. "Bones?"

"People encased in stone?" Cyrus questioned in obvious surprise before he made his usual sound of interest. "Could it be...?"

Therion bent down and picked up a piece of the plaster that had cocooned the bones. As he stood up, he bounced the plaster in his hand and he studied it carefully with his eyes. A thought occurred to him and he barely suppressed a wince.