Other half

Things were different when Merlin came back. Gaius was evidently a lot happier. Gwen seemed chattier. Usually to Merlin, informing him on the happening of the last month and a half. Gwaine and Leon had their drinking buddy back and a new relationship therapist. And me. I felt whole again. I'd missed seeing his eyes in the mornings or the worried looks he never failed to give before a sword fight. I'd began being nicer in general as well. Extra "thank you"s and "please"s just to see his eyes light up in gratitude. I didn't realise how sad I was until he came back. In conclusion, I don't think I could last in life without Merlin. You could say he was my other half.

As for how he came back again, I'd have the slightest. We'd attempted to bring it up and he'd either change the subject or just straight up leave the room. I didn't protest. Maybe it was too hard for him.

"Merlin!" I called out. It was time for breakfast and he wasn't here yet.
"Yes?" He came in out of breath.
"My breakfast. You know, the supposed most important meal of the day?"
He cursed under his breath.
"I'll be right back," and he was gone.

In all honesty I wasn't hungry at all. I just needed a reason to drag Merlin to my chambers. I had something to discuss with him.

20 minutes later he came back with a full tray of fruits, bread and a mug. He placed it on my desk in front of me.

"Thank you, Merlin," I flashed him a hearty smile. He walked towards the door but before he could reach the handle I stood before him.
"Uh-"
"We need to talk for a bit, please, sit."

He swallows nervously as he sat at the foot of my bed. I took a seat on my desk chair but sat backwards to face him.

"Am I in trouble?" He questioned like a scared child. I tried to smile to calm him down.
"Never," I reassured.
"So, to start off this chat, I'm going to need you to relax. It pains me to see you frightened,"
He shifts in his position trying his best to follow the request.
"Now that that's partially sorted, I just wanted to ask your permission to-" now I was swallowing nervously. "make magic legal..?"

He eyes shone like the stars in a clear night sky. Nothing brighter exists. His smile melted my heart.
"O-of course!" He shouted with the gratitude of a kid on Christmas.
"But, your dad. His work. Why would you want to change the law he put in place?" Honestly it wasn't the last law I wanted to change.

"Merlin, you've proven to me magic can be used for good. I keep on thinking about how you saved me in the dark, requesting no reward. I don't want you to hide anymore. I couldn't just sit here while your true self is caged because my father had some issues." Wow, change a few words and that would've sounded like a marriage proposal.

"What about people who used magic for evil?" He reasoned.
"With Morgana and Mordred out of the picture and you on my side there is nothing that could ever harm Camelot,"

In one swift motion he was on his feet and tightly hugging my torso. I was taken aback but soon settled and mimicked his action.

"Merlin, are you crying?"
"No" said a muffled sniffle.
I just smiled at how cute he was being. Uh, no. Not cute. Adorable? No that's worse. Can I stop being gay for one second? That's difficult to do when I'm holding another man like there is no tomorrow.

I pulled back to look at his face again. Still soggy but cute nonetheless.

"I was also wondering if you think it's uh, a good idea to make" I breathed in "samesexmarriagelegal?" The last part came out in one breath.

I though I was going to explode. My face probably resembled a tomato. However, Merlin was just as red as me.

"I don't object" he smirked.
"But why? And don't tell me because you care about Gwaine and Leon's relationship."
Well Merlin sure found his confidence again.

"W-well" I was suddenly really nervous.
"Oooooo, Camelot's king likes a boy!"
Sweat was pouring down my forehead.
"So who is it? I bet it's one of those muscly guards" he looked towards the door.

"It's been a n-nice chat Merls, but my breakfast has been waiting and-" I paused, realising what I'd just called him.

"Merls?" Within seconds he was on the floor laughing. 
"I don't know what's so funny. I think it's suitable" I say in an attempt to regain any crumb of dignity.

He stopped laughing and looked up at me.
"No but in all seriousness, who?"
I braced myself to answer and take any form of criticism he threw back.

"You..."

Before I could blink he had run away. This is my fault.