six. getting along

CHAPTER SIX (&) GETTING ALONG

"O' Iris, goddess of the rainbow,accept my offering

accept my offering."

CONNOR SAYING HE COULD DRIVE was a loose interpretation of the truth. It was clear that he had been taught, and maybe had even been good at it at one point. But now, was a wildly different story. Only an hour and a half away from Camp Half Blood— Bailey found herself clutching to the arm rest of her seat, face looking queasy & mildly angry. Around them, wilderness whooshed by— a blur of white and brown that did not help with the dizziness the young demigod was experiencing.

                "You told the council you could drive." Bailey said, tone icy, and cut short by a wave of nausea. Connor winced.

                 "I can drive, I never said I was really good at it— besides! What other option did we have?" he swerved a little, distracted by the conversation, and thanked the gods the forest roads were empty.

                 "Plane! Boat! Train! I would have taken the fates personal taxi cab service over this." Bailey let her glare fall on Connor, then glancing back to the map in hopes it would steady her dizzying sense of balance. "I can't blame you for not being a good driver, I can't drive at all, but gods Stoll— you could have said something." the boy turned crimson, eyebrows furrowing in decisive concentration.

                 "I'm doing my best!"

                 "You're missing the point! Your best is about to make end with me violently ill on the side of the road!" Connor threw one hand into the air, repositioned it on the wheel, and purposely veered into the right lane. He slammed on the brake, stopping the car at the side of the road, and looking pointedly at Bailey.

                 "Go ahead and get it over with now then. Or, if you're up for it, you can walk to Seattle." Bailey gave him one short, furious expression— and climbed out of the car. She tore open the door to the back seat, retrieved her duffel bag, and began trekking along the side of the road. She tried not to appear as cold as she was, pulling her hands into the sleeves of her thick jacket.

               "Are you kidding me—" Connor mumbled to himself. He was pretty certain his tone had been sarcastic, but obviously Bailey had taken the suggestion to heart. "Bailey! Really? You do know we're on a time limit, yeah?"

                 Connor drove along side the girl at a pitiful 4 miles an hour. A demigod in a yellow Volkswagen bug, shouting out the window at another demigod— in the middle of the northeast wilderness. Gods, if Travis could see him now. Bailey was decisively silent, face set in determination as she dodged rocks and upturned roots along the path. "Gods, Bailey. I'm sorry okay— will you just get back in the car?"