NINE

Ch. 9: Saving Grace

Dear Regulus,
I know this letter will never get to you. They won't let me send mail. But they said it might help me stop obsessing over you. I don't think it'll help at all honestly.
Because I love you, Regulus Black. I don't care what they tell me or what weird drugs they put me on. I'm not going to stop. I think maybe if we'd been muggles it could have worked out...but we aren't. There's so much keeping us apart. I'm sorry.
With all my heart: love,
Olivia.

The brunette, tilted her head at the letter. She bit her lip to hold back her tears.

She let the letter dry and stuffed it into her pants pocket before quickly scribbling another that showed progress. That she was getting 'better'. Truthfully, this place was making her worse.

She was bored out of her mind, unable to use magic and so far from her loved ones. They wouldn't even allow knitting needles. She found it absurd.

She wondered if Regulus noticed she was gone.

~

Regulus sat down on the balcony of the astronomy tower, gazing up at the stars. This place reminded him of Liv. So much.
It was all he had since Sirius refused to even speak with him about Olivia. He didn't let himself show any emotion around his other friends, but here in the tower, alone, he broke down into tears. He missed her so much.

He wasn't even sixteen yet but he knew without a doubt what he felt was love. And only love for Olivia Florence Potter. His one and only who was taken away so suddenly and—

The door behind him shut. He was on his feet instantly, reaching for his wand. He frowned when he saw Remus Lupin.

"What do you want?" Regulus asked, taking out his frustration on the boy.

"I knew you'd come here. This is her spot," he said softly, walking over. "And I know where Olivia is."

"Seriously?" he asked, trying not to get his hopes up too much.

"Yes. But I'll need something from you," Remus said studying him carefully.

"What's that?" he frowned.

"Do you really care about her or is this just some fucked up game you're playing with her," Remus asked quietly.

"I really care about her. With all my heart," he whispered.

Remus handed him some paper with an address scribbled on it. "James isn't allowed to visit but her parents usually got around noon on Saturdays. Go around dinner time," he suggested. "And don't break her damn heart."

"I wouldn't think of it," he said softly as Remus left.

His heart raced as he gazed down at the address. He was going to see Liv.

~

"Miss Potter? You have a visitor," said her nurse. Olivia set the color book and crayons (because they weren't pointy) aside, looking up from her desk.

He put a finger to his lips as he stepped inside, mouthing something to her. She nearly jumped out of her chair. Calmly she stood up, moving to hug him. "Remus," she said, repeating what Regulus had mouthed to her.

"I'll be down the hall if you need me. The door must stay open at least five inches," the nurse said sternly before walking off. Regulus shut the door enough and cast a silencing charm so they wouldn't be overheard.

Olivia burst into tears, hugging him tightly. "I'm going crazy in here, Reg..." she sobbed into his shoulder.

"I'm going to get you out of here, Liv. I swear! I won't let them keep you in here!" he shook his head.

Liv cried in his arms for what felt like forever. She laid down with him once she calmed down. He smiled, playing with her hair.

Liv's heart ached, knowing that this wouldn't last long. "I wish that we could have met in a time when we weren't torn between good and evil...all this bullshit politics keeping us apart."

Regulus sat up, gazing down at her. He held up a necklace. "Happy birthday, Ollie."

"Only James call's me that," she scrunched up her nose, reaching for the necklace.

"I think it's cute," he said, letting her take the jewelry. "Remus said you're allowed to have jewelry..."

She nodded, smiling down st the golden rose necklace.

She wrapped her arms around him. "Thank you, Reg."

"You won't stay in here much longer, I promise. I miss you," he said softly.

Liv lowered her eyes to the floor. "I'll likely be in here for a while, Reg. It's probably better than being at home though. I don't see much of my mom."

"I'll get you out of here someday," he said softly, squeezing her hand.

Liv smiled, bringing her knees to her chest as the nurse came in with a tray of food. Regulus said goodbye and headed out leaving Liv alone. She played with her necklace.