Double Date

"Dad, it's only a friendly little meet up. Yes, I promise to be careful. Okay, I'll be back by eight. Love you, bye," I chirped before hanging up. I was walking to Gerionimo's, the new café we have nearby. Since it's a double date, I had decided to wear a grey, wool material cold shoulder shirt with my skinny jeans and little white ankle booties.

I put my hair up in a messy bun as I entered the café. The place was filled with friendly talk and delicious smells. I found Jay already seated at a table near the back and made my over to him with a huge smile. He was wearing an outfit that matched his sweet personality; a black t shirt with a grey jacket over it, dark jeans, and brown sandals.

"Hi! Paige texted me, they'll be here in five," I said as I took a seat next to him.

"Alright. Can I just say that you look absolutely amazing?" Jay said, making me blush. I only met him a few hours ago and he's already giving compliments I've never gotten from another guy.

"Stop lying," I giggled. He shrugged and put an arm around me. Usually I would jerk away, but he just seemed so safe that I cuddled into his warmth instead.

"I'm definitely not lying," Jay chuckled. I sighed and closed my eyes. I can imagine the perfect life with him. Loving and cuddling and rarely arguing. Absolutely perfect. My eyes stayed closed for a few minutes, but when I heard a voice squealing, I knew who had finally arrived.

"Aw, Kayla, you look so cute!" Paige exclaimed. She was wearing an adorable, knee length yellow dress with ruffles at the neckline, white sandals, and her hair was put in a Dutch braid. I smiled at her and sat upright, though Jay's arm stayed snugly around my shoulders. Ash walked in after her. He was wearing a pressed, untucked blue plaid shirt with a pair tan cargo shorts and a pair of black converses. He made a sour face at Jay as he sat down. Why was he acting like this all of the sudden? We sat and chatted for a while, just waiting for someone to come take our orders.

"Hello, I'm Tris and I'll be your-" No. Way. I stood up and hugged the waitress. This wasn't happening. It felt like my whole world just stopped. Well, until Paige stood up and joined the hug. My mum was like a second to Paige.

"Kayla," She whispered. I could almost feel the questioning looks from Ash and Jay. But I didn't care. Mum Tris stepped out of the hug and looked at me.

"Uh, Kayla, what's going on?" Jay asks. I'm tempted to tell him. Instead I just sit back down like it never happened, like I didn't just hug a woman I used to love with all my heart. Emphasis on the words "used to."

"Sorry, I overreacted. Can I get a caramel mocha?" Tris frowned and wrote it down. Ash ordered a hot chocolate, Paige got a pumpkin spice frappuccino, and Jay got a decaf coffee. After Tris walked away, all eyes turned to me. I shrugged. "Just a person of the past. Forget about it."

Jay wrapped his arm protectively around me again and I let out a sigh of relief. I could fall asleep right now, today's been so eventful. My eyes fluttered closed for a moment, but a strong smell of my favorite drink opened them widely again. Tris was back with the drinks and was writing the names onto them. She never asked for my name, of course.

"There you all go," Tris chirped before turning on her heel and walking away. I looked all over my cup for my name, but all I could find was the words, "I'm Sorry" written on it. I rolled my eyes and took a sip of the scolding drink. My taste buds burnt, but I dealt with it. There's no reason for me to ignore a date when I'm upset.

"So, where did you used to go to school?" I asked facing Jay.

"Ah, I was actually home schooled," Jay said, cringing, "That's probably why I'm so socially awkward."

"Socially awkward? You're almost as smooth as Mr. Popular over there!" I exclaimed, nodding my head in a gesture to introduce Ash. Ash only shrugged with a pleased smirk on his face. His arm was now wrapped around Paige, which, for some reason, made me kind of.. Jealous? "If anyone, I'm the awkward one here."

"You're not awkward, did you forget that you just hugged that lady? In front of everyone?" I glanced away for a moment. He wouldn't understand, honestly.

"Yeah, whatever. So, do you have any siblings?" I guess I might as well get to know him.

"Well, I have one brother, Kyle, he's 17 and goes to the school as well. It can get kinda boring and bland, especially when my parents go on their monthly business trips for their newspaper thing," Jay said casually.

Ash suddenly took interest in our conversation, "Oh, that's too bad." I shot him a warning glare, because his tone of voice was incredibly rude. "But you must have way more freedoms," Ash added, then gave me a 'Was that good enough?' glance. I shrugged as a response.

"I mean, maybe. I'm not sure. But what I'm really curious about is why you hugged that lady, how she knows your name, and what she's sorry about," Jay said to me, then poked the words on my cup.

"Just an old friend," I lied quietly. I took another sip of my drink, just trying to get out of the question. Jay furrowed his brows but understood that I wanted to leave it at that. Ash started scribbling on a napkin, but he put it in his pocket before I could ask what he was drawing.

I felt something touch my leg and almost screamed, but I realised it was only a napkin. I reached under the table and grabbed it.

Meet me by the restrooms. I have something to tell you, okay Sunshine?

The last word made it obvious who had written it. I excused myself to the restrooms and waited for Ash. He excused himself as well and caught up to me a few minutes later.

"What did you want to tell me?" I asked with an annoyed tone. He was surely about to further ruin my already ruined date.

"Ah, ah, ah, watch the attitude, Tiger," he said with that annoying smirk of his. I rolled my eyes at his stupidity.

"Just tell me or I'll go ahead and punch you for making me stand here by these disgusting bathrooms." I held a fist up just as an emphasis. He held up his hands in surrender.

"God, you're feisty. I just wanted to tell you that I know Jay. He's not what you think he is," Ash whispered in my ears. Him being so close to me sent a shiver down my spine. Or maybe that was from what he said.

"Then what is he?" I was getting more annoyed by the second, obviously.

"Human, of course. But he's not actually the sweet, caring, and all that other sappy, romance-y , chick flick kind of guy that he seems like. Just watch out, okay?" Was he... No, no he was only saying this because he's jealous. That's it.

"Whatever, I thought you were going to tell me something important. And real." I walked away from Ash, returning to the chatty Paige and Jay. I sat down and Jay wrapped his arm around me, bringing me in for a kiss on the cheek. I giggled and kissed his nose.

How in the world could Jay ever be anything but sweet?

Interesting meet up, isn't? I guess we'll have to see how Jay handles it!