Something Unusual

"Serene! Serene!" Her grandmother called out, her shock white hair pulled back tightly, "Come down and make this potion for Mrs. Zia!", she shouted, her voices' volume unaffected by time. Serene was upstairs in her room, and had been studying for a new spell. At her grandmother's call, and with a slight, inaudible sigh she closed her notebook, and walked down into the shop. There, behind the counter she greeted her grandmother and Mrs. Zia. The costumer in question appeared human, and somewhat sheepish as she looked over Serene, mouthing a sorry from behind her grandmother's back. Her grandmother on the other hand smiled at Serene, her purple shawl draped over her shoulders, as she had decided to wear a navy sleeved blouse with a long skirt, and a pair of indoor sandals. "Ms. Lakatos I wouldn't want to inconvenience you I was just asking-" she started off before being cut off by the elderly woman, her hand raised as she looked back at Mrs. Zai. She had a gentle smile as she spoke, her words moreso directed at her granddaughter a few meters away, "It's no problem dear, I'd do it myself but I'm sure Serene can handle it. I don't have the energy I used to." She kept a persistent grin as she spoke.

      This was a lie. The eccentric woman never slowed down, and balked at the mere suggestion of retirement. Besides, witches' ability grew better with time. Serene smiled at Mrs. Zai's attempt to dissuade her grandmother, but simply nodded, "What's the potion for?" She asked, as her grandmother walked towards the counter, and she walked up to the costumer. Serene wasn't a short girl, but she wasn't particularly tall in comparison to the lithe woman in front of her, it didn't help said woman had a pair of maroon heels that gave her an extra three inches. Serene settled on the idea that Mrs. Zai maybe a ballerina, for she held the grace of one in her pose, in spite of her shy and embarrassed expression. Her dark attire and hair made her skin look very pale, she was dressed warm, and stood by one of the few aisles the downstairs shop had, on the opposite end of where the fireplace sat. It wasn't a very large store, so that wasn't saying much, but most consulting patrons tended to wait by the fire to thaw away the chill of winter. Serene mentally shrugged, maybe Mrs. Zai's clothes kept her warm enough.

      "Something to dull my presence." She explains simply, her hands buried deep into her red coat. Serene noted the woman seemed antsy, and couldn't help but wonder how strong this spell would have to be, "Is someone after you?" She asked, looking back at the door before looking up at the woman. She shook her head, and her anxiety grew palpable, "We should take the to the back..." Serene offered, and with a timid nod from Mrs. Zai, they head off towards the counter, stepping around it and then walking into the kitchen behind it. Not many customers came into the back room, but it was a private place for important consultations, and for potion making. Once they walked past the homey kitchen, there were two doors awaiting them. One led to the restroom, and the other out into the greenhouse patio, a cozy, and warm room with strained green glass over the multitude of plants that grew there. It had herbs from all over the world, and there was a small, wooden, round table with two matching chairs. In the middle sat some small bones and crystals, and a candle for late night spells.

     Serene basically grew up in the artificially tropic room, and without looking ahead turned to face Mrs. Zai, her feet instinctively leading her to one of the seats. "Please, sit down," she offered, as the darkly clad woman thanked her, and took the seat closest to the wall. Serene continued on, but remained standing, as she tucked a rogue strand of hair behind her ear, "So, a dulling spell?" She checked. Mrs. Zai absently nodded, looking out to the woods, mumbling a quick "yes." Serene only nodded, before Mrs. Zai continued on, "I know you're young, but please, make it a strong spell-" she slowed down for a moment, before she pulled her hands out of her pocket, and rested them on the table, "Please Miss. Lakatos," she nearly begged. Serene paled slightly, her hands were red and purple, and had thin cuts over them, "What happened?" She dared to ask, wondering if cops would be a better solution than a spell, Mrs. Zai sighed, biting her lip before her hands retreated into her pockets, "I wish I knew." She replied vaguely, frowning at her predicament. "I really, truly wish I did- that's why I came here- not just for the spell, but for answers as well." She paused, "Something's wrong. Something's terribly wrong."
——————
Hello again!
I hope you're all enjoying the story, I'm a bit of a slow writer. If you don't mind please press the star on your screen, I'd greatly appreciate it :D have a happy holidays everyone!
-Sincerely,
A.D.