August

When school finally started, Tom and I didn't see each other as much as we used to. After school we were busy with our sports and in the classes we had, he sat next to Harrison. I wasn't mad at all, he should have more friends than just me.

    When Tom first arrived in Little Valley, the buzz was definitely huge. The girls reacted a little more hardcore than the guys did. Rumor had it that one kid had to go to the emergency room because she fainted and hit her head. However, the buzz lasted about a week before it faded. The students all had their chance to speak with Tom and get their photos in, and now they stopped talking to him. At first, Tom didn't take that too well. He thought he would have a few more friends or at least someone to talk to in every class, but nobody talked to him.

    "I feel ostracized, Kennedy," he ranted with his head on my lap. My fingers were intertwined with a lock of his hair as I listened. "I think a lot of it is because they're afraid," I put my words out before he talked over them, a habit he had that started to frustrate me. "What do you mean afraid of me? I'm not a spider or anything. I'm friendly, see?" He gave me a big smile and I chuckled. It was a cute smile and I felt my mind tell me kiss him. However, I stopped listening to my mind the first time it told me to kiss him. There was no way I was going to kiss Tom. Not yet at least, I had ten more months.

    "As cute as your smile is, I mean that you're untouchable, Tom. They probably think you're used to champagne and black tie events. They haven't hung out with you as often as Harrison and I have," I explained as Tom sat normally on the couch. "So how do I become 'touchable'?" he asked and I shrugged. "I don't really know, I've never exactly had this problem. You play soccer, right? Ask your teammates to go out to eat. Ask the smart kid for her answers. Do the normal high school shit. Speaking of, have you applied to college yet?"

    Tom shook his head as he took the remote, turning on the TV. "I'm not going to college," he said, "I'm continuing acting. I was lucky to have one or two films come out this year in order for me to have a proper senior year." "Are you auditioning at all this year?" I asked him and he nodded. "The new Captain America movie holding auditions for Spider-Man. I'm going to audition in May right before school ends," Tom began to get excited over this and I embraced his passion. Yeah, the boy was a famous star and everything, but overall, he really loved comic books. About our second or third hangout, he had shown me his comic book collection and it was massive.

    We watched TV until Tom's phone buzzed on the table and he picked it up. "Hello?" he said and left the room. I didn't want to be nosey, but I couldn't help but pick up bits of his conversation. He laughed a few times in his conversation and at times he sounded flirtatious. After about ten minutes, Tom hung up the phone and came back with a huge smile on his face. I reciprocated his grin as I asked him what was up.

    "Krysta and I are going on a date tonight," he said and my smile fell. I picked it up again, hoping he wouldn't notice. "Didn't you say that she was a gold digger last month?" I asked him and he shook his head. "I said it was probably a celebrity crush. We hung out outside of school and she's came to a few of my games. I like her," he said grinning as he talked about her. I could see the passion in his eyes as he spoke about Krysta, it was almost comparable to when he spoke to me that day at the beach. Tom was moving on and I wasn't. Ten more months, Kennedy, you still have ten more months.

    I gathered my things and sat up from the couch. "I guess I should probably get going then," I said and walked upstairs, but Tom's voice stopped me. "Kenny, the date's not until 10, we still have time," he reassured me. I didn't make eye contact when I looked back, I couldn't really bear to. "I have...um homework that I really need to work on anyway. Have a good time Tom," I lied, waved, and left his house returning to mine.

    My mom greeted me in the kitchen where I sat at the table and hung my head down. She sat down next to me and asked me what was wrong. "I think I like Tom, Mom. In a more than friends way," I groaned. My mom put her hand on my back and started rubbing the tension out of my shoulders, a thing she's always done when I get flustered. "Sweetie, tell him. I'm most definitely sure he likes you too," she urged me but I sighed in exasperation. "He's going on a date tonight. Besides, we sort of made a pact. I can go on a date with him in ten months if I end up having feelings for him," I explained.

    "But you have feelings for him now," she was confused, I couldn't blame her. Teenagers are very confusing. "It's complicated, Mom. Can you just hug me please?" I asked her and she complied. We embraced like that for what seemed like forever and I didn't want to leave her arms.

    Tom called me around midnight and I answered like usual. "I'm trying to sleep, Holland, what's up?" I said, despite obviously playing games on my phone and not sleeping. "Kenny, I just lost my virginity," Tom spoke sincerely and I choked. "You what?!" I exclaimed and he shushed me over the phone. "I don't know how it happened, but we were at her house and she kissed me and bam. We fucked," Tom summarized for me. "Thomas Stanley Holland, I can't believe you fucked on the first date! Scandalous!" Even though he couldn't see me, I was grinning from ear to ear.

    "Yeah, but I'm scared, Kenny," his voice was a whisper. "Please tell me you used protection," it was my turn to be serious. If Tom lost his virginity and got a girl pregnant at the same time, all Hell would break loose in the press. "Of course I did, I'm not an idiot. I'm scared she'll leave me after this. Like I was a one and done deal because I'm famous," he explained. I sympathized his situation. With someone with a status such as his, it was hard to distinguish the real from the fake.

    I was silent at first. There were no words I could say to reassure him. I couldn't possibly understand his predicament. I wasn't famous, I've never had sex, and I've never liked anybody who's liked me back. Tom was asking a wall for advice. "In all honesty, Tom, I don't know what to say to you. I know it's not much, but if you need a shoulder to cry on, I'll always offer mine," I finally said. "Bullshit," Tom stated, confusing me. "Kennedy, you mean the world to me," he continued, "Knowing that you'll support me no matter what means so much. I love you."

    He meant it platonically, but it still nearly stopped my heart. Our friendship had meant so much to him and I had never really thought about it much. We were affectionate towards another and we hung out quite a lot, but I guess I never realized how much we needed each other. "I love you too," I replied, "But you should go to sleep. All that boinking had to make you tired." Tom laughed and it sounded like a lullaby. He wished me goodnight before he hung up and I was left wishing to the stars that one day I could be his.

Don't forget to vote, comment, that good stuff.

~Not edited~