28: Sixty Minutes

HAIM feat ASAP FERG - My Song 5

___________

It's happening, I thought as I stared at my reflection in the mirror.

The house was buzzing with activity. Voices filled the living room, hallways and rooms as everyone prepared themselves for what was to come. Everyone was fed, everyone was at their strongest. That was the most important thing. Everyone had to be at their strongest. Including me.

I caught Michael's eye in the mirror and watched them darken slightly. Earlier, he'd taken me straight home after my little 'I'm tired of waiting' speech. And I'd been right to assume Michael needed the most convincing but wrong when I thought he would be protesting his very heart out.

"Mike, I know what you're going to say-" but he'd silenced me with a sharp hush and led me straight upstairs to our bedroom. "Michael-"

"Sh."

I frowned. "M-"

And he was kissing me. Frantically at that. I, at first, kissed him back hesitantly until he stepped back and I saw the raw need in his eyes. So I succumbed, I let him strip me and pull me to our bed because this was his way of saying, okay Evie. And, we'll do this together. I didn't think anything bad was going to happen tonight but we had to think realistically.

It wasn't our goodbye, I thought when he joined our naked bodies together with a luxurious thrust. But it was our just in case. And I wasn't all that surprised after he'd finished showering my body with kisses when he crawled up my body and bit the inside of his wrist.

"I have faith in every single one of us," He'd said. "But I don't want to take any risks with you. Not this time."

So I accepted it, I drank until his wound closed.

And now here we stood, hours later at John's with everything we needed for later if things went to plan that is. Mike's blood had made me just that little bit stronger which would definitely come in handy.

I tied my hair up away from my face and darted my eyes over the scar on my neck. Despite Christian biting over it a few months ago, it still looked exactly how it did after Florence bit me. No amount of vampire blood could get rid of this scar.

I skimmed my fingers over the taught skin and met Michael's eye in the mirror when he stepped behind me. He brushed his own hand against it and said, "You know you don't have to-"

"Come?" I interrupted and finished. "I do. And I don't want you to fight me on this. With what I have planned I'm not missing out on this. She may want you and Nate but she's been my enemy since she came back three years ago. She's had a bone to pick with me and I have many to pick with her before she dies."

Michael lifted his hands in surrender and shook his head. "Alright, alright."

"Are you worried?"

"Yep."

I frowned. "You don't seem that worried,"

"Because I've spent the last three years expressing my worry, I may as well keep it locked up inside for this one." His nose flared a little, his old telltale sign he was reigning in his temper.

I released a heavy sigh. I knew he'd be angry but I was more or less expecting it earlier rather than twenty minutes away from leaving. "Michael... If you had a problem with this-"

"I didn't see a point in arguing about it because you'll still do it."

"You said to me you wouldn't tell me not to do things," I faced him. "You said you trusted me."