Chapter 2 Our Path Begins

Cheri's POV

So after I choose Torchic to be my partner, I decided to see my mom before I left to go on my journey.

I was nearly approaching my house as I carried Torchic in my arms, I didn't want to put her in her pokeball yet since I just got her and she seemed to want to stay out.

I also found out that Torchic was a girl because of the Pokedex the professor gave me and it figured out my pokemon's gender.

The Pokedex is a invention that looks up the data and information on all kinds of Pokemon. It can also look a Pokemon's gender, type, abilities, and moves. It also told me some information about Torchic.

"Torchic sticks with its Trainer, following behind with unsteady steps. This Pokémon breathes fire of over 1,800 degrees Fahrenheit, including fireballs that leave the foe scorched black"

That was what the Pokedex said and it surprised me of what Torchic was capable of. I was already ready for my journey, I just needed to do one more thing before I leave.

Suddenly I was in front of my house as I sighed knowing that this would be my last time here for a while until I was done with my journey.

I slowly open the door and made my way inside, upon entering I see my mom sitting on the couch watching tv as her attention turns over to me.

"Hi sweetie, back already?" Mom asked as her face lit at the sight of my Pokemon while I nodded to her.

"Yeah, I just got my first Pokemon" I replied as showed her my Torchic causing her to giggle.

"Wow so you chose Torchic? That's great!! Torchic sounds like a good choice after all its a cutie" My mom said as she started petting her head with a smile.

"Yup, anyways I wanted to stop by before I left" I informed her as she nodded in understanding.

"Oh okay, that's sweet of you" Mom said with a wide smile as she looks at me.

I take a deep breath and look at my mom in the eyes "To be honest I'm terrified to go on a journey especially since I never been to the other parts of the region before. But now that I have Torchic with me, I feel less afraid and more excited to go on my journey" I admitted with a small smile as my mom grins widely.

"That's great darling, I know your scared but think about the fun you'll have as a trainer. You'll be visiting a lot of places that I saw as a young girl. Its like a dream come true!!! Its something that I used to do and I want the same for you" mom said and sighed as I looked at her with a nod of understanding.

Anyways it'll be nice to have Torchic by your side on this journey, I'm sure she'll protect and help you too" My mom said as she stroking the head of my pokemon. Torchic chirped happily at the feeling of being petted and nuzzled at my mom's hand.

I nodded in agreement with her "Yeah, it won't be so bad if I have a partner with me. After all I always did think Pokemon were cool and fun to have around. But now I have one now and I'm glad its Torchic!!" I said with enthusiasm as my mom tilted her head at me as she was thinking about something.

I noticed her thoughtful expression "Uh mom? You alright?" I asked her curiously wondering what she was thinking.

"Yeah Cheri I'm fine, it's just that wouldn't you prefer to give it a nickname rather then calling Torchic by its Pokemon species name?" My mom asked me with wonder as my eyes widened at her question.

"A nickname? Huh, I never thought about that. I can give her a nickname?" I asked my mom as she nods with a giggle, she probably thought my question was silly.

I started to think of a couple of names that I thought would fit Torchic.

"Hmm...maybe Flare? No that's a common name. Blaze? Nope seems like a male name. Wait! I know!!"

I thought to myself as I picked out the perfect name for her. I just hoped she would like it too.

"How about Scorch?!" I said out loud nearly scaring my mom as Torchic suddenly started jumping up and down at the name which to me sounded like she liked it as well.

"That's a lovely name, I think it suits Torchic" My mom said wide smile which also made me smile because I was glad that we all liked it.

"Yeah, for now on your Scorch who'll be my partner for my journey" I said looking at the fire type who nodded happily with a happy looking smile.

"That's great darling, I hope you and Scorch have a great time on your adventure. Before you go, here's some money" She said handing me some money as I took it.

"Use it to buy anything you need to use for your journey or for your Pokemon" She said smiling as I nodded in understanding.

"Alright mom, thank you so much" I said hugging her tightly as I realized that I wouldn't see her for a while.

Mom hugged me back as I saw tears spill down her cheeks and she sniffles slightly in our embrace.

"I'll miss you sweetie but I know this is what you need and I'm happy for you. I hope you have a great time with your Pokemon on your journey" She said making me smile. I was sad that I had to leave her and our home, but she would be much sadder if I didn't go out on my journey. Deep inside I know that she's happy and no matter how big the distance is between us. We'll be supporting each other in both of our lives.

~Timeskip~

Shortly after I said goodbye to mom, I left the house and Littleroot Town. I officially began my journey as I start to walk through Route 101 and was making my way toward Oldale Town which I read from my map that it was our next location.

I can't believe I was finally starting on my own journey to become a official Pokemon trainer and that I had my very own Pokemon with me. Speaking of Pokemon, Scorch is currently in my arms as I walk.

We both look around as we walk through some tall grass, this was where I meet Scorch and where we also battled that Poochyena earlier. I sighed at the memory since I remember I barely knew how to battle and I could have been in a lot of trouble.

As we keep walking, there was a shuffling in the tall grass. I quickly look in that direction with widened eyes as I prepare what could come out while Scorch was tensed by the sudden movement in the grass.

We both waited at least a minute before something came out of the grass. I took one look at the creature and immediately recognized it as a Poochyena. Its black and gray fur was very familiar as well as its red eyes.

"Woah its a Poochyena!!!" I exclaim as I stared at the wolf like Pokemon, it didn't seem as scary as the previous one was. Suddenly a idea came to me and I quickly took out my Pokedex to get some information about it.

"At first sight, Poochyena takes a bite at anything that moves. This Pokémon chases after prey until the victim becomes exhausted. However, it may turn tail if the prey strikes back"

The pokedex as I feel my spine shivers. It'll eat anything that moves?! Does that mean it'll eat us next?!! I look at the little Pokemon and noticed it didn't seem like it wanted to eat us.
The Poochyena went to go lay in the grass and sits down in peace, this one seems to be different which made me sigh in relief.

I look at Scorch "Looks like this little guy won't hurt us" I said causing her to chirp slightly as I took that she understands.

I look at the Poochyena once more before deciding to walk away and I didn't want to bother it as me and Scorch continued on our path to Oldale Town.

We kept walking as it was our next stop and the first town that we would visit ever since we set off for our journey. I couldn't wait to visit more towns or cities and of course meet new Pokemon!!!