The beginning III

" A month and a half-assed snooping later. I was in the same house with another dress on and a plan. And because I couldn't get anything out of Rose in our monthly calls, I had to dig around, plain and simple.

I remember that night. Me looking at the mirror and telling myself to just do it. I had all the evidence packed, everything aligned no way he's denying it. Matt and Rose were -sort of- dating. Emphasis on the sort of because the evidence I had? Were three years old Facebook posts that aren't as condemning as one would think.

Back to the party. My birthday was in two days. Us girls planned a night out but I canceled on that and accompanied my parents instead.
Motivated by the promis of a car, and a revealing confrontation!

My brilliant plan was soon extinguished when I had lost track of Matt. Somewhere between yawn-inducing toasts and piano serenades he dissolved into thin air. I ended up locking myself in the guest bathroom playing Candy Crush and waiting for our leave.

I was justifiably surprised.. as I saw him out in the hallway, planted in the same spot with the same knowing smile plastered on his face. Only that time around I was no longer feeling abashed or at ease."

//

"Funny meeting you here" Matt crossed his arms smirking.

"But I'm starting to think you're stalking me. Matt Whittker"

"It is my house after all. And even If I was wouldn't you feel flattered?"

"Debatable" her head tilted to the side, shoulder shrugging. Katrina wore her perfect smile like an armor against all.

Matt probed his elbow again as a silent proposal and she took it with only a slight hesitation.

//

"Sure the last time we did nothing, but this time around as he started to make his advances, my mind was elsewhere. I wanted him to talk, admit to anything but Matt was smart. He was fast to direct the conversation where he wanted it to be. With us sitting on the bed, his tux clad arm rubbing my bare one I got agitated, panicked and uncomfortable. Something about him didn't sit well with me. Maybe because of what I knew, or what I thought I knew. But it was like... he was like a wolf in sheep's clothing you know?" She Stood silent. Waiting for the detective to answer her.

"Ever had one of those guys?" Katrina probed for the second time.

"We're talking about you Katrina."

Katrina rolled her eyes skywards and continued with her telling " so I confronted him. About him knowing my sister, about him destroying her. Matt was fast to pull out. His face turned from sheer astonishment to pure fury. And he was so freaking frightening. With a cold look on his eyes he ordered me to get out. And the foolish part of me defied. Threw curses and played strong. Still I got nothing out of him, with a death grip he'd snatched my arm and tossed me out of the door of his bedroom. I stood there in the hallway on the verge of tears, with rage still coursing in my veins and self-condemning thoughts roaming my brains.

I ran straight back to the guest's restroom, relieved there was no sign of the annoying lady who pushed me to get out in the first place" she exhaled a small laugh.

"I don't know what it was about it. Some places are just meant to be the scene of eminent disasters. And as I was trying to get myself together. Eyes bloodshot with panic. I stood crying there for who knows how long just cursing at myself. Your plans tend to sketch better in your head right?
I guess I splashed too much water trying to wash my face? Maybe the pipes were leaking. Something was wrong with that bathroom. Because by the time I deemed myself ready to face the crowd, the tiles and the matt were already wet. "

"As I attempted to wipe the mess I heard soft knocks on the door, what's so un/ignorable about them was the voice that accompanied them. Solemn and apologetic. It was Matt and believing his sincerity I opened the door. Looking as uncomfortable as I was. He told me he came to explain everything. And look, in my defense when he said everything it sounded pretty convincing. So I let him.

With Matt leaning on the sink and me sitting on the stool Matt began from the start or what he thought was the start."

//

:don't take my word for it. Ask any of my friends. Your sister had been seeing someone for over a year. We didn't know who it was and it was definitely wayyy before....
Matt's eyes averted unable to choose the right wording. Were there a right wording for what had happened?

:And you know her well. Don't you? She could be quite persuasive when she wanted to be.

//

"You see. The more he talked? The more I saw of his true skin. Looking at me straight in the eye that low life! Seriously how stupid was he? I thought to myself. But then I realized he wasn't. Matt with a sickening look on his face was either playing or warning me.

So long story short, I, always the hot head! Told him where he can put his story then moved to shove him out of the way. He made a move to take a hold of my arm but I shoved him even harder. It was when he slipped on the still floor, his head pumping the corner of an awful looking vase by the wall and falling unconscious right away.

That was when I really -like really panicked! With his blood merging with the wetness of the beige tiles, I didn't know what to do. I couldn't just get out of the bathroom and call it a night. No way I would tell mom or dad!

Then it occurred to me, who to call. He lived in the same street, I thought it shouldn't take him long to come. And I kind of trusted him. Not entirely! but he wasn't a complete idiot, and that with a guy is sometimes enough.

With the peeps rolling out of my mobile and the matt soaking up Matt's blood. My mind was going through every scenario there is, one in particular stuck out. What if he was dead? What if I had killed Matt Whittker?

And then Nick answered."