Chapter Three | Dodgeball is NOT the move

"Before you start to judge me, step into my shoes and walk the life I'm living and if you get as far as I am, just maybe you will see how strong I really am" - Unknown

******

HE LEAVES ME standing alone in the hallway in pure shock.  Questions are running through my brain right now like joggers in a marathon.  I watch Ryder Stone turn the corner and disappear.  I recollect myself and decide that I should go to my first period class.  My first period class is gym, so I quickly head to the school's gym.

I'm slightly late, and the first thing that I noticed was that I interrupted the ongoing class.  I slide in the back while the gym teacher explains how to play dodgeball.  Great, I think to myself.  Now people will have an excuse to throw things at me.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see him.  Ryder Stone just so happens to be in my gym class.  He's already been scouted out by the popular guys in the class, but he seems to be rejecting their attempts at friendship. Ryder doesn't seem like the loner type, but he seems to be selectively social. He chooses who he wants to talk to and when he wants to talk to them.

I cross my arms and look around. There's no one that I'm friendly with in this class; Taylor is the only person I trust enough to call my friend and even she hasn't gained my full trust. It's not that I have trust issues, I just don't trust easily.

"Any questions?" Mr. Ryans, the gym instructor asks. I've been zoned out for ninety five percent of his speech but dodge ball is pretty self explanatory.

"Great, now we need captains. Rachel, get up here-" He points to an athletic looking girl who's brunette hair is tied into a French braid. "- and let's have, Ryder you too." He says, pointing at Ryder. It's his first day, first class here yet everyone knows his name already. He's that popular already and he's barely lifted a pinky. Ryder stands up, looking unfazed. His shiny grey eyes glisten from the heavy gymnasium lights.

Rachel gets the first pick. "Dan." She says, chewing her gum obnoxiously. Dan is wide receiver on the football team and a well known try-hard in gym class.  He's one of the tallest people in the class, standing at 6'1, but Ryder still has a solid two inches on him.  Stop. Thinking. About. Ryder. I mentally scold myself. 

Ryder is next to choose.  "Astrid."  He calls.  I look around, waiting for someone to get up.  That's when I realize he chose Astrid.  Me. 

I stand up and start walking towards him.  "Why did you pick me?" I whisper to him while Rachel is deciding who to pick next.  He shrugs, "You seem like a good partner."  He whisper responds, before picking the next student.  It goes like this back and forth for about three minutes until there are sixteen students on each team.  Mr. Ryans takes ten balls and throws five on each side.  He gives a countdown and the game begins. 

Within seconds, balls are being violently thrown at each other.  Three people are knocked off from my team within the first ten seconds.  I find a ball being thrown at me, and I quickly catch it, knocking a skinny sophomore out of the game.  I chuck it back, hitting a girl on the foot and making her exit the match as well.  A ball whips past me, barely missing my arm.  I jump away quickly and find a ball to throw.  I throw one at Rachel, which I miss.

By this time, it's Dan and Rachel vs Ryder and I.  Ryder throws a ball and hits Rachel straight in the butt.  She blushes and scurries off the area.  I bite my lip to prevent myself from chuckling.  The next thing I know, a ball going at 200 miles per hour hits me square in the face and I'm on the floor.