Chapter 8: The Duel

Song: [The Fallen Bloom – Hoskey]

                The Challenge shook all of the citizens, even those of the Crimson Kingdom. They did not expect their oppressive queen to request a team death match, nor did the Firmament Kingdom expect that their leader would agree to it.

                ~Iris View~

 I walked the path to our old playground, my old friend’s gift by my side, hidden under my cloaks and armour. The playground where we first met, where we spent their childhood together, and where one of us would die for our Kingdom. I watched as my small legion of knights marched to their impending doom, fearing the supernatural prowess the Crimson queen would unleash against them, whilst simultaneously awaiting the chance they would have to fight against the enemy that threatened them and their kingdom.

Once we reached the battlefield, we saw the army of guardians that the Queen had amassed against them, equally skilled protectors who would die for their queen. I felt surprised that they had not rebelled against the queen that had put them under the same oppression that she had attempted to protect them from. I felt the sun begin to burn my armour, it had struck noon, and the knights knew this. The Duel had begun, and just as I had thought that, the Crimson Legion attacked.

We were able to hold off the brunt of their first attack. Another division of the Knights, including me, had split away and began to execute our plan. We were to hold off as much of the attackers as we could while the split division would invade the enemy. It was a simple plan, and the Crimson League was not to expect it. They didn’t, but their Queen did. She had retaliated by going straight for the group of knights that had defended the first attack and, with a sweep of her supernatural powers, they had fallen where they stood, burnt by the flames that came from her hands. We lost about half of our soldiers to that unprecedented attack, but we still managed to defeat the guardians who stood on their half of the battlefield and as the split division were supposed to focus on getting the Queen, we were stumped. We didn’t expect the Queen to be so powerful. She had wiped over half our soldiers in the space of a few minutes while it took us over 3 hours of defending against periodic attacks to defeat just as much.

We figured that if we were to stand a chance, we had to retreat to the very end of our side of the battlefield. We ran past our burning base to the beach where our last base stood, damaged by the leftovers of the flames that burnt the base in front of it but still surprisingly devoid of people. The Crimson Legion had retreated, and we were left with a little less than a quarter of our knights. The Legion still contained over a third of their guardians, and we were stuck to the base, fearing the next invasion that would be our deaths. I stood up and had a head-count, 10 soldiers and me. We didn’t have much choice in the matter, we had to go straight for the enemy base. If we were to fall, we would fall fighting. To the last breath, we will fight.

~A/N: Its the 2nd last chapter... sorry that I was late with the chapter, but I've been working on more assessments, and I'm actually kind of surprised I had the time to make this ._.~