Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

It was not long after their conversation about Aurora and the portal that Espio motioned to Nikōru for her to follow him, telling Kay to get some rest as he led the lynx from the tent. In the back of her mind Kay wondered why he'd have Nikōru go with him, but after a moment she decided it didn't matter. Most likely it was just to fill her in on what she had said, but even if it wasn't, it was none of her business.

Still, she smiled a little to herself as they exited together.

Once alone, Kay took the photo of Maria and unfolded it, opening it carefully. The girl Shadow loved smiled back at her, her eyes gentle and trusting. Her grandfather sat in a chair in front of her. Kay stared at the sepia image. She had never actually seen this in person before Shadow showed it to her the first time just this morning. How ironic, she thought, that I'm finally seeing this iconic photo while I'm not even in the Prime Universe anymore.

After another minute, she folded it back up, pressed it to her chest, and sighed heavily. Shadow needed to have it back. He needed to. What had she done, offering to take it back to him herself? This whole day had been a blur; just this morning she was adamant that she not return to Mobius Prime. Now less than an hour ago she'd changed her mind due to a spur-of-the-moment decision to snatch the Chaos Emerald from Aurora.

It's for the best, really, she thought as she began to drift off into unconsciousness. Aurora shouldn't have it, and my having it here at camp will at least make it harder for her to get it back. If keeping this power from her means going back to Prime to give this photo back to Shadow myself...well, there are worse consequences I could suffer.

~

Kay awoke with a start, the sound of shouting outside the tent filling her ears and acting as an effective wake-up call. Instinctively she sat up to look around, though she soon wished she hadn't, because the effort made her head pound with sudden dizziness. She put one hand to her head and felt something roll off her lap. Her free hand reached to grab the Chaos Emerald as the spots faded from her vision and the others in the tent with her came into focus.

Li Yuen was already on his feet, hurrying toward the entrance. Espio and Nikōru were sitting up like Kay, though looking much more alert and prepared. Yuen turned and said something to Espio that made both him and the lynx leap up in an instant. Kay scrambled to follow their lead, though it finally registered in her mind that no one looked panicked or worried, like they were under attack. All three of her companions looked excited – and relieved.

"Come, senshi," Espio said, motioning for Kay even as Nikōru helped steady her after she lost her balance trying to get up so fast. "The Shinobi Clan has arrived to assist us. Today we may begin planning a counter-attack against Aurora and the Dimension Keepers." Then, without another word and without looking back, he vanished from the tent, followed closely by Yuen.

Kay and Nikōru emerged into the soft, cool of the morning together, Kay still clutching the Emerald and photograph in one hand. She felt awkward carrying it around in the middle of the hustle of the Gossamer warriors, but she was determined not to let it out of her sight. She would not let Aurora get hold of it again if she could help it; really, it was a wonder she hadn't come for it already.

Somehow Nikōru managed to always keep the prince and his bodyguard in sight ahead of them, no matter how crowded their view was. The camp was very busy but also very orderly. Each Gossamer warrior had somewhere to be and was getting there as quickly as possible, but they never bumped into each other or the two girls as the latter made their way to what Kay guessed to be the high-ranking warrior's tent.

All at once they caught up to Espio, who had stopped just outside the tent and was offering a slight bow to a small troupe of chameleon ninjas, all of whom were bowing low to the ground before their prince. The Shinobi, Kay thought, marveling at how – though they were all dressed plainly enough in gray outfits – each one of the chameleons was a different color. She saw pink, green, yellow, and purple, to name a few. She'd been so used to Espio being her example of a chameleon Mobian that she'd almost forgotten they could be other colors as well.

In the next instant the prince and the new arrivals were speaking to each other, and just as Kay was beginning to wish she could understand their conversation, Tomoya appeared almost out of nowhere and stood on the other side of her, opposite Nikōru.

"Tomoya," she welcomed in a low voice.

"Greetings, honored guest," he replied, then instantly got to work translating for her.

As it turned out, the troupe before them – consisting of what Kay counted to be twelve members – were the high Shinobi warriors, second only to the Bride herself. Espio asked about their journey, and they reported that it had been an easy trip, with no trouble from the rogue clans along the way. The prince promised they'd have more work to do now that they'd arrived, and the warriors in turn promised they would fight to the death for him if necessary. They also informed him that they were merely the first wave of Shinobi warriors the Bride had sent to assist him. Within the next few days Espio would have an entire army at his command.

Espio then filled them all in on what had been happening here – everything from leaving the haven to the ransom set on his men that had been captured. When he was finished briefing them, he turned to look directly at Kay, then at Tomoya standing beside her.

"Do you speak her language?" he asked.

Tomoya bowed. "Yes, your highness. I have been translating for her since yesterday. I hope you do not mind."

"Not at all, my friend," Espio replied. "It is important that Kay be informed. Come forward, both of you." They did as they were told, and once they were closer to the prince, he gestured to Kay and spoke to the Shinobi. "This is Kay, from Bygone Island. She is not native to our kingdom, but she has been a tremendous help in fighting back against these Dimension Keepers, and she has proven to be more than knowledgeable about what their leader may be attempting to do to our way of life." Then he motioned for Nikōru to join them. "This is Nikōru, formerly of the Storm Clan. She abandoned her Bride only because she believes in serving the crown first, as she should. I trust both of these women with my life; treat them as you would one of your sisters in the clan."

The Shinobi nodded their understanding, then bowed to the girls. They returned the gesture.

"Now," Espio continued, "I believe some food and rest is in order. I trust that you'll all be ready to meet this evening to discuss a counter-attack? We mustn't waste any more time." At everyone's affirmation, the prince smiled. "Good. Rest, my friends. I will see you tonight."

Mobius Destiny (A Sonic Boom Fanfic)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें