❈ the Simran effect ❈

Simran was deep in thought as she watched the red colour of horizon changed into purple. She is twenty years old; she has seen the sunset thousands of times but this one feels different with Raj's warmth next to her.

His presence was adding to... her lungs. She didn't know, not until now, just being alive and breathing could be such a source of joy. The cage her heart had been trapped in, was today broken by Raj's undying hope and endless efforts for their union. Her heart was beating free of the burdens of the unknown. She felt complete, safe, loved and more than all, she felt so alive that it felt like the very first day of her life.

She took a deep breath, closing her eyes. She liked the air that filled her lungs, it carried the essence of her homeland and a very small but recognizable amount of Raj's cologne. When she looked at the sky, it seemed like the colours were celebrating. They were welcoming them home; a thousand shades of blue and red, mixing together, becoming one, while Simran was offering her gratefulness to God in a silent prayer.

She was amazed by the huge wave of emotions she is experiencing and the intensity of them. It reminded her the day which she wrote the letter to her diary, when she longed for a stranger so deeply that she wanted to write it down.

This was similar by the means of heartily wishing to put her feelings in words. The earth feels like home, she thought. All of it. The green of trees, the light of the sun, the brown of his eyes, the sky, sounds of the birds, children, the train, water... The stranger I have longed for, removed the meaning of its name from the face of earth and made it home to me.

She was now wondering if Raj had a notebook in his giant backpack which he carried everywhere. She wanted to search his bag and find out but her eyes were clearly rejecting this wish, surrendering themselves to a peaceful sleep after such a long time.

❈ ❈ ❈

Raj was sleeping next to Simran, exhausted from all the physical and emotional troubles he has been through. Every cell in his body was tired and hurting, and his right shoulder was feeling awkwardly heavy.

He opened his eyes slowly, waiting them to adjust to the dim lighting of the train. He was about to shrug off the discomfort on his shoulder when he realised Simran and her long hair draped all over his chest.

He looked around to see most of the passengers in a similar state to Simran's, sleeping soundly. He moved her hair away from her face, being extremely careful to not to wake her up.

When he saw her beautiful face, the soreness he's been feeling vanished.  She looked ethereal, from her slightly parted pink lips to the shadow of her eyelashes that lands on her youthful skin. Innocence radiated from her closed eyes, making Raj feel like his bride was an angel.

His only capital was his brave heart when he came here, day by day he owned many more hearts and finally, he got what his heart longed for.

He kissed her forehead, unable to resist the urge. He laid her to his lap and covered her chest with one of his shirts. She must be deep asleep, he thought.

He had very little money and exactly no preparation for this. Simran, sleeping on his lap in a train with a wedding dress. He knew it would be hard, but he didn't imagine it to be this messy. The sudden turn of events, the chaos and the hope he managed keep alive till the very end... He thought he deserved a medal for not losing his mind while their union started to seem more impossible day by day, but when he looked at Simran, he just knew he can't take credit. He had no idea how to move on from this point, how to keep her safe and sound through the journey, yet he knew he would succeed in anything as long as he had her love. When he looked at her, his fears disappeared, his hope was refueled. It was her effect, The Simran effect.

He wandered his hand over her wild, long, black hair lovingly. His mind chanted as he did: My love, my love, my love....

"Raj?" Simran mumbled quietly in her sleep, his touch woke her up even though he didn't intend to.
"Hmm?" Raj answered in an equally faint sound, his body giving up to sleep in peace.
"Are you taking me home?" She questioned, adjusting her head's position in his lap, getting comfortable.
"Yes, señorita." Raj smiled his eyes closed, happines was obvious in his voice.
Simran opened her eyes and looked around, quietly enjoying the reality and the beauty of the moment. "Raj?"
"Hmm?" His smile grew and reached his eyes.
"Is this a dream?" Simran looked up at his dreamy face, squinted as her eyes adjusted to the light.
Raj kindly moved her hair away from her face and leaned to her ear. The closeness, his breath and warmth took Simran's sleepiness away, her core was shaking now. Her gazelle-like, wide eyes met his deep brown ones in excitement.

"Yes, señorita. And it's becoming real."

Thank you for reading. This was such a pleasure to write. I hope you enjoyed! Comments and votes are very appreciated, I am eager to hear your opinions. ❤️