NINETEEN

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

chapter 19 : he always had that look in his eyes,but they were always too scared to see it glow

but they were always too scared to see it glow

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

the night of his birthday, seonghwa went home and looked around the house. he sighed as he removed his coat and shoes, "anyone home?"

no reply but the devastating silence seonghwa faced. his mother died when he was just a boy, and his dad always worked in other cities so he never had time to spend his birthday or any holidays with him. he couldn't even bother to leave him a text, note, or a gift.

even if he was high, it was no aid to his pain, his despair. the same pain he felt for the past fourteen years now.

he ran into his room and sat on his bed, holding onto a pillow as he tried so hard not to cry. seonghwa was eighteen, he couldn't cry over trivial things like this.

seonghwa was independent since they moved from the provinces into the city. in the past, his dad didn't have to work much because he wasn't as popular, but his title grew while living in the city. it was a demanding job now, always out of town defending cases.

he thought about all of this as he sniffled helplessly. seonghwa turned off his lamp and fell asleep in his school uniform and all.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

kyunghee and yeosang felt like criminals the next morning when they hid from kyunghee's mom. they had to wake up at regular school times and pretend like they went to school, but in reality they hid in the laundry room.

luckily, she would be taking jaeeun back home and settle him in, so she wouldn't be home.

once mrs. kang left at around 9 am, kyunghee and yeosang came out of their hiding spot in the laundry room and quickly got packed for the trip.

seonghwa came to her house at 10 am sharp. it was nice for him to have such a bubbly, cute girl to cheer him up after last night. she didn't know how much she meant to him.

yeosang rode off alone, and she greeted seonghwa with a wave.

"morning, sunshine." he side-smiled and pat the seat for her to sit.

"hi! did you have a good birthday yesterday?" she asked and joined him on the bike. he nodded slowly.

"yeah, let's just go."

"by the way, chanyu and i are done arguing. i won! aren't you glad?"

"mhm, we're gonna be late."

"ugh, fine, meanie." she wrapped her arms around his waist and asked worriedly, pointing to her big backpack of clothes, "my backpack is heavy...what if i fall backwards?"

"you're overthinking." seonghwa sighed. "just hold onto me tight."

kyunghee nodded and scooted up so they were close. seonghwa bit his lip before riding off.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

hongjoong's lake house was beautiful. it was nicer than kyunghee's house - no surprise. kyunghee instantly gasped and gripped yeosang's arm once everyone arrived.

"it's so pretty! can i get the room with the biggest window?" she asked.

"whatever you want," seonghwa smiled big, which was kinda rare. they unlocked the house and everyone ran in.

kyunghee found a room on the second level of the place and settled in. yeosang wouldn't let her share with anyone, so she got a single room. it was perfect for her since it was decorated pink for a girl. also, it had a huge window from the floor to the ceiling. the view was beautiful.

once everyone picked their rooms and put their stuff away, they gathered once again on the back porch and talked. the boys all smoked or drank while kyunghee played with her fingers nervously.

"i was thinking we could go swimming and maybe have a barbecue." san suggested and everyone nodded. "but who would make the food since we can't cook...?"

they all went silent as their heads turned to innocent kyunghee. she was wide eyed. "me? ...fine."

"since it's almost late, how about we all just hang out tonight, though?" seonghwa asked everyone.

"alright, aye where are you going?" asked jongho.

seonghwa stood as he picked up his drink and all. he pat kyunghee on the arm and said, "let's go."

everyone watched curiously, especially overprotective yeosang, when the two went back alone into the house. it felt suspicious how he was holding her hand.

kyunghee followed along, just as confused as the rest as she wondered what was happening.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄