THIRTY

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

chapter thirty : there's no hate without love

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

kyunghee and junichi enjoyed each other's company one night at the library. they both were studying for a huge upcoming test.

suddenly, junichi put down his pencil. "kyunghee."

"hm?"

"i need to ask you a favor..."

"go ahead," kyunghee uneasily chuckled, sensing some sort of anxiousness from him.

"my parents are disappointed in me. they want me to start dating and stuff - they're worried i don't get out enough. i don't know... we're having a family dinner on friday and..." he hesitantly said.

kyunghee nodded, "and?"

"and... i want you to pretend to be my girlfriend. pretend, of course. i know you're with seonghwa." he begged. "it's one night. so... please?"

"i..." she trailed off, worrying as she tried to guess what seonghwa's reaction would be like. "i'll ask him before i give you an answer."

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

kyunghee was dreading asking seonghwa about this fake boyfriend thing. someone was inevitably going to end up unhappy, or maybe all of them would.

she found her chance as lunch began; seonghwa was exiting his classroom, his hair ruffled up because he probably just took a nap. kyunghee skipped towards her boyfriend and smiled big.

"ah, seonghwa?" kyunghee asked and clasped her hands together.

he rolled his eyes, "do you need a favor or something?"

"no, i just want to ask you... hypothetically... if i were to have a fake boyfriend that wasn't you—"

seonghwa's eyebrow shot up. he was more confused than concerned. "what?"

"i mean, okay, um." kyunghee sighed. "junichi wants me to act like his girlfriend for one night so his parents will think he's social."

seonghwa shrugged, "go ahead."

kyunghee's jaw dropped hard. shocked and honestly a little disappointed, she provoked him, "well, are you gonna be jealous? another guy has your girl for a night..."

he shook his head and began to walk towards the cafeteria. kyunghee chases after him.

seonghwa explained, "i trust you since you love me to death. i'm pretty sure junichi is gay, too."

"oh my god." kyunghee groaned. she was getting herself worked up over nothing. she decided to tease him a bit. "so... you won't mind if i kiss him, right?"

finally, he cracked. seonghwa stopped dead in his tracks and turned around to face her. kyunghee gasped as he quickly stomped towards her until she was pinned against the wall behind her.

he bent down to reach her height, furrowing his brows as he studied her face. "why don't you just kiss me instead?"

"i was joking." she chuckled and hit his chest playfully. "i'd never cheat on you."

"i know you wouldn't. now answer my question."

"huh? the question about the kiss?" she asked, an seonghwa nodded impatiently. kyunghee went on, "well, i do kiss you, don't i?"

seonghwa shrugged and tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear, deliberately getting to her head. "you don't kiss me enough."

"everyday isn't enough?" she scoffed and nervously began glancing at his lips every few seconds. kyunghee could sense the mood changing.

"nope." he said as he brought forth his lips to hers. they almost touched, until kyunghee turned her cheek. "for example, right now we're not. but we should."

she was making a worried face and looking both ways down the halls. "seonghwa! what if someone sees us? we'd get in trouble—"

"i don't care. and nobody is looking because they're all at lunch." he told her, holding her waist.

kyunghee nodded, then he kissed her. after a while of dating, it was crazy to think that they both felt butterflies every time they kissed or touched like this. even seonghwa, who was used to how women acted until he met her.

she sunk into his warm chest and wrapped her arms around him. she could feel seonghwa's lips form a smile under hers.

kyunghee was the one to break off, joking again, "so it's okay if i do that with junichi, too?"

he chuckled in disbelief, "sure, if you want junichi dead."

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

"junichi!! wait up!" kyunghee was jogging towards her friend after school once she spotted him walking on the sidewalk. he stopped and grinned at her.

"hey, kyung."

"hey! i have my answer," she proudly stated to her friend, who suddenly became anxious, adding, "i can go! as long as it's only one night... and no kissing."

"sounds good to me! oh, by the way, i feel like i should mention that my older brother will be there, too. so, just, don't be startled." junichi nervously chuckled and rubbed the nape of his neck. "his name is kaiga."

kyunghee pursed her lips in a state of confusion, "startled? okay..."

"kaiga isn't terrible, but he's a tad annoying... okay, really annoying." he spit out, blurting like an idiot. "especially with girls."

"your brother sounds interesting. i'm guessing that's why you've never told me about him?" kyunghee was intrigued, to say the least. she could tell that the upcoming dinner with the yoshikawa family would be very eventful.

"yeah, but don't worry. i don't think he stands a chance against seonghwa even if he tried." junichi blurted once again.

"against seonghwa? kaiga likes me? i've never even met him!"

junichi was turning redder by the minute, "i t-told you. kaiga is just a big idiot who's girl crazy."

"... oh."

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄