Chapter 3

Your POV
———

"Are you sure this is a good idea, YN?" Katelyn asks me hesitantly, standing on the other end of the divider screens.

"Well, no, but what else am I supposed to do to get Danny back? Toss over the clothes, please," I request, hanging my old clothes on top of one divider.

She puts the new courtier clothes on another, and I take them, pulling the uncomfortable clothes on. They're so scratchy..

"You prove a valid point, but this is dangerous," Katelyn protests stubbornly as I step out from behind the dividers, fixing the vest.

I sigh in aggravation at the vest, and Kate chuckles, coming over and fixing it for me.

I give her a smile in gratitude as I continue, "Dangerous is my middle name, Katelyn. You should know this by now."

She huffs playfully, stepping back once she finishes fixing my clothing, and meets my gaze. "I know. Just try not to get yourself killed."

I laugh quietly, "Alright, but no promises."

Katelyn glares half-heartedly, but breaks into a laugh when I do.

I give her a hug, knowing she wouldn't start it. She hugs me back tightly.

Once we let go she punches my shoulder, "Go get 'em, tiger."

I smile at her before leaving the barn, heading towards the direction of the castle.

•••

I arrive an hour later, after having taken a carriage ride here.

I weave my way through the area, scanning the crowd, hoping to see Danny's familiar face.

My eyes land on his wrinkled face, and I rush that way.

I make it there in minutes, stopping the man and horses before they could set off anywhere.

"Wait!" I call out, the man glares at me.

"Get outta the way, kid," he growls.

"No, not until you give me back my family. I've got the money," I protest bravely.

"I don't—"

"I'll pay you double the price of what whoever paid you," I cut him off, holding up the bag of coins.

I'm causing a bit of commotion, but I couldn't care less.

I'm set in stone.

"Move out of the way or I'll—" the man starts to yell, but gets cut off mid-sentence.

"You dare raise your voice at a civilian?" A charming voice exclaims, and I can hear the hooves of a horse come closer from behind.

I take a deep breath and slowly turn around, biting my busted lip as I put one hand over my heart with the other behind my back, bowing slightly.

It's the prince.

Laurance Zvahl.

I stand straight again and drop my hands, refusing to meet his eyes for a long moment.

"I-I'm sorry, your majesty, but he can't just come here and demand for his family member back, no matter what payment he may or may not have. These people have already been sold," the man argues, and I twist around to face him.

"They are not objects to be toyed with! They are human beings, just like you and me! Do you have no respect for mankind?" I ask in anger, trying not to raise my voice.

Prince Laurance looks at me and seemingly makes a decision, then turns his assertive gaze to the man before me, "Let the man go."

"But—"

"No buts. I've made up my mind. Let his family member go immediately," Laurance orders, and relief fills my being.

My eyebrows relax a little as I hurry over to the side where the man reluctantly lets Danny go. I give the bag of coins to the man as Danny stumbles over to me and encases me in a weak hug. I hug him back in a tight hold.

Danny pulls back, "Thank you, son, thank you.."

I nod to him, "Go to the carriage. I'll meet you there."

Danny walks off and I go to address the prince.

I bow once more, "Thank you very much, your majesty."

I start to walk off in the direction that Danny went, when I realize something.

Was that my horse?

Whatever, I have no evidence to back that up.

The prince steps down from the horse and chases after me.

He keeps pace with me as he inquires, "What's your name?"

I stay quiet, sparing him a glance, "I'm afraid I cannot tell you that, your majesty."

"It is that you can't tell me or that you don't want to?"

"...Both."

"Well, whatever the reason, I'm intrigued by you," he tells me.

I stop in my tracks from surprise, and he steps in front of me.

I meet his eyes for the first time today, and I realize how attractive he really is. From his light blue eyes to his light brown hair.

Stay focused, YN.

"You're intrigued..by me?" I ask doubtfully.

He nods, rubbing the back of his neck, "I mean, yeah. The way you spoke back there..I've never heard anything like it. How you stood up for that man and everything."

Ignoring the heat on my cheeks, I state in calm apprehension and hostility, "I can't believe you."

I walk around him and continue on, when he catches up with me again, "What do you mean by that?"

I shake my head, "You saved my family member, but did you even look at any of the others?"

He's silent for a moment, "You're angry with me."

"Exactly. Those other people also need help, and you look right past them as if they weren't even there. As I've said before, they're humans too. I don't have the power to set them free, and you know where they're going. Those innocent people are going to be killed, and for what? For being of a lower class? For not having the money to keep themselves stable and alive? It's as if those who are of a lower class than you are get put into this system because they don't have the power to keep themselves out of it or anything. Who's to say that someone like me isn't next? Or someone else that has people who love them who can't pay off the debt to save them?"

Laurance stares at me in wonder, taking in my words.

"I understand where you're coming from and I agree, that doesn't sound right."

"Then why don't you do something about it?" I ask in a calmer tone.

He doesn't answer my question.

We reach the carriage in which will take myself and Danny home, and I turn to face Laurance.

I'm much more composed and less mad now.

"Thank you again for helping me save him. It was a pleasure to make your acquaintance, your majesty," I say truthfully and step into the carriage, closing the door behind me.

"Will I see you again?" Laurance inquires, resting a hand on the side of the door.

"Depends," I answer, and the carriage begins to pull away.

I sit in the carriage car with Danny in silence, until it is broken by him saying, "I think he likes you, YN."

I laugh dryly, watching the world pass me by out the window.

I cannot believe that just happened.

———

-CastrarWolf