※ Chapter Three

It was like time stood still as I stood in front of him, still trying to absorb the fact that this human being was, in fact, a real-life person and not some fictional character that I'd conjured up via my imagination from a book I was reading.

He was still staring at me, looking down at me with a sort of dazed look in his eyes. Those mesmerising eyes. Those eyes that made me want to just stare into them the whole day for the rest of forever, as creepy as that sounded. Those eyes that had a little sparkle in them; as though he was ecstatic about something. Those eyes that were slowly turning darker, clouding with rage - wait, what?

Okay, I should probably stop staring at him. Maybe that's why he was getting mad. Maybe because he's the Alpha and it's rude to stare at Alphas like how I was staring at him. Maybe -

His head snapped to the side so fast that I wouldn't have even been surprised if he got whiplash. He was glaring so hard at the person - or thing - behind him that I was actually afraid that they'd be buried six feet under in the next few seconds. His glare was that intense.

I let my eyes trail over to where he was looking at, eventually landing on a buff, ridiculously handsome - though not as handsome as the pretty stranger, but handsome, nonetheless - young man that had tattoos along one of his arms and one across his chest from his shoulder. Currently also in cut offs, like the pretty stranger.

Did I mention that he was buff? Because Jesus Christ, he looked like a bloody body-builder.

It was also then that I noticed that no longer was the brown wolf, the Beta, standing there. In place of where the Beta was was the buff young man.

A small but animalistic growl erupting from the chest of the pretty stranger in front of me made me snap myself out of my thoughts, taking a subtle but cautious step back.

At least, I thought it was subtle.

Apparently it wasn't subtle enough because pretty stranger snapped his head towards me, making my eyes widen a fraction as his own softened, just a little. I could see the colour in his eyes again. They weren't black, like they were when he started growling very animalistically.

And then we were having another staring contest - his gaze getting far too intense for me to handle.

So I did the most logical thing I could, raising my hands up in the air in a surrendering position and opening my big, fat mouth.

"You come here often?" with a half smile on my lips to top off that fucking ridiculous and idiotic question.

Sometimes I really hate myself and the fact that I've got the brain approximately the same size as a fucking goldfish.

Pretty stranger smiled, though. Sort of. It was more of a little smirk (that was oh-so-attractive) as he shook his head slightly, almost as if I'd amused him. And I could see from over his shoulder that the buff one - the Beta as I assumed - was biting down on his bottom lip, as though he was trying to contain a smile, though his eyebrows were knotted together in the middle of his forehead. That made me stare at his face for just a little bit longer than planned before I glanced back at the pretty stranger, who was now watching me with a small, disapproving frown.

Like, what did I ever do to you, man? If anyone should have that from on their face, it's me. With a face that perfect and a body that nice, you could be kidnapped and sold as a sex slave, or something. Why are you walking around forests half naked?

"She isn't human, Jett. I know for a fact that she isn't. You know that she isn't," a male voice makes me blink. I glance around, only to see that no one is talking. Oh right. I haven't 'turned off' my mind-reading abilities. The voice belonged to the Beta. I remembered it.