Doesn't Ask Her Out

"Well, I look forward to working with you," Tristan said, dropping his hands into his pockets.

Hope's smile dimmed a bit. "I hope I don't disappoint."

"From what I saw today I doubt you will."

Snatching up his bag from beside his chair, Tristan left the studio. As the distance grew he wasn't sure that he hadn't just made a mistake in not asking her out. But a part of him knew the complication of working with a dancer that you were dating and didn't want that. Or that was the reason he told himself as he stepped into the fading light of the day.

The tops of the buildings were glowing as the descending sun reflected off their surfaces. Though the day was drawing to a close, the city was coming alive. Workers poured out of offices and into restaurants and bars. Voices tumbled out of doorways that opened letting out the warmth and welcoming in the guests.

Like a phantom Tristan moved through the city, people stepping aside to let him pass. His steady stride and slightly intimidating expression was like a force that went before him, nudging pedestrians to the side.

Lights burned from the windows of the red brick house. When Tristan opened the door, the bubble of voices greeted him. Banging cabinets and the patter of footsteps emanated from the kitchen. He took a step towards the stairs but paused.

Solitude was a preference over his sister's company the majority of the time, but with quiet, he knew his obsessive nature would want to take hold, analyze his mistake and create ways of righting it. Dumping his bag at the base of the stairs, he walked into the kitchen.

Seated around the table, their feet propped on opposite chairs were Cece and Elliot. Cartons of ice cream were sitting on the table top and an extra spoon was sitting patiently beside the mint n chip.

"Well, well, well," Cece said, looking at Tristan, "Look who decided to waltz in."

"I'm surprised you even came in here," Elliot said. "Usually you don't jive with us."

"Before you change your mind why not swing a chair around and join us."

"Good idea, mambo you're way over here."

"What are you two doing?" Tristan asked, his expression flat.

Both girls grinned.

"We're trying out some dance slang," Elliot said.

"Do you plan on keeping it up?" Tristan asked.

Cece shrugged. "Pasodoble."

Shaking his head, Tristan settled into a chair and grabbed one of the cartons and a spoon. He leaned back, propping one foot on his knee. As he ate, Elliot and Cece exchanged glances, quietly nudging the other to ask the unaskable question. Finally, Cece's fierce look won and Elliot sighed.

"So why are your tights in a twist?" she asked.

When Tristan gave her an annoyed look, she raised her hands.

"Okay, so the dance slang is out," she said. "Along with the pirate, mafia and circus slang."

Tristan returned his attention to his ice cream and Cece leaned her elbows on the table.

"Alright," she said. "Spit it out. Why are you even bearing our presence and why aren't you somewhere else flaunting your fame and brilliance?"

"I don't flaunt," Tristan said.

"Fine," Cece said, "But you do swagger."

Elliot pointed at him with her spoon. "You do that. I think about it as a don't-give-a-damn-kind of swagger in your step."

"Boston Ballet got a new dancer," Tristan said.

The girls exchanged a look.

"An interesting tangent which I'm sure we will eventually see the connection to our previous question," Cece said.

"Or a bunny trail that we will never return from," Elliot added.

"Either way continue."

"I spoke to her," Tristan said.

"Ohhh," both girls said, leaning back as if he had just announced he was contagious with a deadly virus.

"I even, for a moment, thought of asking her out."

Both his sisters gave him sympathetic looks.

"I almost made the same mistake of talking to someone the other day," Elliot said. "He opened the door for me and said hi and I almost caved. Dodged a bullet there."

"Well, Beck should have known better," Cece said.

Despite his brooding mood, Tristan gave away a piece of his smile.

"So why didn't you ask her out?" Elliot asked.

He shrugged, not convincing anyone with the gesture. "Entanglements are distractions and..."

"Signs of weakness," Cece added.

"Also depending on how long you dated and what she found out about you it might not end well," Elliot said. "I mean we would have to put her down. There are somethings no one can ever know."

Tristan frowned. "El, the orange pants were a one-time thing, I think we can get over it."

Elliot made a face. "Yes, but what could she find out other than that. Your gold jacket? Cece's cooking? Mom's lack of owning a clock? It's for the best that you held onto your wits and didn't reveal the skeletons in our closet."

"Which is also something she could have found," Cece said.

Shaking his head, Tristan scooped out another spoon full of ice cream.

"It might hurt now," Cece said, "but this is for the best. I'll eventually marry Milo so he doesn't have to die and Beck will go insane from writing with Elliot and we'll have him committed. It's a win-win."

Tristan smiled at the absurdity of his sister. There was never a time when he was sure that most people wouldn't question his own sanity after meeting them. He was related to them after all. The thought of them meeting Hope darted through his mind and he took another spoon full of ice cream.

"Yes," he said, smiling. "Disaster avoided."

**********************************************************************

Heywoah!

Tristan didn't get the girl but he got ice cream, I guess you could say it's a win. But if you're not happy with that then there is still a chance to change fate! Go make a different decision and see what is in store for Tristan McKenzie!

Take a quick second to vote, comment and follow before you go!

Just cause! 😄❤️