nineteen

I opened my eyes to a pitch black room, already feeling my heart beat faster when I could hear nothing around me. "Harry?" I asked quietly, the sudden fear of having been left alone washing over me. He wouldn't have done that, would he? He'd promised. "Harry? Are you here?" I asked louder when I got no reply, the way the sound of my voice reverberated in the small room unsettling me.

"I am near the door" a deep voice said from somewhere behind me, and I felt relief wash the anxiousness away.

"Okay, I'm coming" I said, turning around and walking towards the sound of Harry's voice, hoping that I wouldn't have crashed against anything in the process. I stopped when I touched something cold. I carefully passed my hand over it, frowning until my fingers wrapped around an even colder handle. "I think I found the door" I said quietly before turning down the handle and trying to open the door, but with no result. "Hang on." I gripped it and tried again, the second time pushing against it with my shoulder as well. I smiled to myself when I felt it give way under my push, and fall open.

I looked to the side, noticing that Harry was actually next to me.

"Let's go" he said, taking advantage of the light to surpass me and start walking down the dimly enlightened corridor.

"Hey! Wait for me!" I said, rushing after him, instinctively reaching forward to grab his wrist and stop him from walking. My eyes widened when my fingers passed through his arm as if it wasn't there at all, leaving a sharp cold into my bones. "Harry..." I said quietly just as he turned around sharply.

"What have you done?" He asked, taking his wrist and massaging it as if I'd just hurt him, giving me a confused glance.

I stared at his wrist, trying to make sense of what had just happened. "I... I tried to stop you" I stuttered, looking up at him, "but I couldn't."

His eyes widened. "It is not possible" he said, his voice trembling slightly.

I blinked fast, the same confusion and upset that was in his eyes reflected in mine. I hesitantly reached forward, trying to graze the hand that was still holding his wrist, retracting it right away when I touched nothing. "I..." I started saying, a deep frown on my face. "How's this possible?" I asked him, my voice choked as I realised what it meant. I stared at him, my eyes wide, going over everything that had happened the previous day, trying to understand where it all had gone wrong.

"This shouldn't be possible" I said, shaking my head, when I realised that I'd never left him alone. "We've always been together, nothing can have happened." I looked to the side, realising as I spoke that my words weren't entirely true. We had indeed always been together, but there was a moment in which I'd lost sight of him.

"Get in, I'm behind you!" He'd said, pushing me in front of him as we entered the electricity room.

I widened my eyes, staring at the dirty wall behind Harry. I'd let him down. I'd promised him I would've saved him, and I hadn't managed to. "I'm so sorry" I choked out, looking up at him. "I'm sorry, Harry."

Harry's gaze seemed detached as he suddenly realised the same thing I had. "It is not your fault" he replied quietly, staring in shock at whatever was behind me.

I sighed, looking down and stepping in front of him, kicking a dirty rag on the ground. "I don't understand!" I said exasperatedly. "Everything was going so well, what... what even happened?!"

He frowned, seeming to be thinking about it, letting out a frustrated sigh. "I don't know" he said in a faint whisper, making me turn around quickly.

"What do you mean, you don't know?" I asked at him, confused. How could someone die, and not know how it happened? It made absolutely no sense.

He gave me a distressed look, the frown on his features deepening. "I cannot remember."