ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ || ᴀʀʀɪᴠᴀʟ

Lizzie

"I didn't realize that our plan involved getting off the ship in the middle of the jungle," I muttered under my breath to Widow.

The spider tapped her leg on my shoulder, her fur brushing my skin. She seemed as impatient as I was.

We were waiting for Tyler as he discussed our rendezvous point with the captain.

"Okay, team!" Tyler said, leaping off the last rung of the ladder and saluting the captain once more before leading us into the thick fog.

I stepped into rhythm beside Navia, who still looked a bit sick. She was also one of the few who trusted me completely. Sasha, Zay, Niko and Lucia still stole uncertain glances my way; I pretended not to notice them.

"Heads up!" Navia warned, pulling me to the side to avoid a root.

"Oh, thanks." I laughed lightly. "I wasn't paying attention."

"That much was obvious." Zay muttered as she edged past us.

I chewed my lip, watching her with the slightest bit of contempt.

Navia glanced over at me. "Just ignore  them." She advised quietly. She must have mistaken my lip-biting for nervousness.

I nodded slowly, never pulling my eyes from Zay's retreating back.

"We'll rest here." Tyler announced after what felt like hours of trekking.

It wasn't much, just a small clearing of the side of the path, but I let out a sigh of relief and dropped to the ground, stretched out flat.

"Move it, squirt." Sasha kicked my shin as he stepped over my legs.

I hissed in surprise more than in pain. "What was that for?!" I said indignantly, but he'd already moved away.

"Ignore them." Tazi said as he plopped down beside me. "They'll trust you eventually."

I bit back a sharp retort and sighed. "Yeah. It just seems like they're paying attention to the wrong thing. I pledged my loyalty, even if I'm not a Greencloak yet. We're all risking our lives. We're trying to save Erdas, for Tellun's sake!"

Ryan smiled sympathetically as she strode past. "Trust has to be earned, Lizzie. They can't just give it to you right away. Also, you did come from the Conquerors. It's only fair that they're wary." she railed off and continued on her way.

I scowled.

"To be honest, I don't think that the not being a Greencloak thing isn't that big of a reason," Tazi lectured, "since Zay hasn't taken her vows either, and everyone trusts her. Note that I said trusts, not likes." He added when I opened my mouth to speak.

I giggled. "Thanks, Taz."

His cheeks grew pink and he grinned happily. "No problem, Liz."

We ate a small dinner of whatever food we had stored in our packs and then we huddled around the fire to get a bit warmer before heading off to sleep.

I lay on my bedroll, listening closely to the sound of the others' breathing, sleep eluding me. The cool metal of the Silver Wolf talisman lay against my chest; I wanted to keep it close, just in case. I watched the stars and the moon until their light made my eyes hurt. I stroked Widow, humming a quiet melody. I'd known that lullaby for as long as I could remember, but I didn't know who'd sung it to me at first. My eyes slowly drooped shut, and what exploded behind them was a whirl of memories.

"Deep in the meadow, under the willow
A bed of grass, a soft green pillow
Lay down your head, and close your sleepy eyes
And when again they open, the sun will rise." A ping woman sat on the side of a bed, singing to a small girl with long blond hair.

"Here it's safe, here it's warm
Here the daisies guard you from every harm
Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true
Here is the place where I love you." The woman and child were running. Hand in hand, similar expressions of fear on their faces. And yet, the woman was still singing softly to calm the girl.

"Deep in the meadow, hidden far away
A cloak of leaves, a moonbeam ray
Forget your woes and let your troubles lay
And when again it's morning, they'll wash away."Together, the two of them sat in a huddle, hidden in the streets. The woman's voice was far too beautiful for their circumstance.

"Here it's safe and here it's warm
And here the daisies guard you from every harm..." Blood dripped past the girl's hands, which were pressed on the woman's chest. Tears fell as the woman fought for breath. Her eyes were glazed with love and pain as she watched the girl before her, still so young. And yet, as the woman watched, she saw a faded outline of the girl growing up, getting her animal.
"And here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true
Here is the place where I love you..." The woman sighed out the last verse, a faint smile ghosting her face as she went limp, never to sing again.

I bolted upright, realization crashing into me like a sack of flour. That was my memory. The girl was me, and the woman was my mother. I scrubbed frantically at my eyes, ridding them of the tears gathered there. The old pain was back, grief and guilt dragged along with it.

Mother always sang to ease the pain, I remembered, my heart aching. I curled back on my side, pulling the talisman back off my skin before closing my eyes again.

"Deep in the meadow, under the willow
A bed of grass, a soft green pillow
Lay down your head, and close your sleepy eyes
And when again they open, the sun will rise..." My voice cracked as I softly wound out the words.

"Here it's safe, here it's warm
Here the daisies guard you from every harm
Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true
Here is the place where I love you..." Tears stung my eyes and I couldn't go on. But I didn't have to.

Deep in the meadow, hidden far away
A cloak of leavesss, a moonbeam ray
Forget your woesss and let your troublesss lay
And when again it's morning, they'll wash away.

Here it'sss safe and here it'sss warm
And here the daisiesss guard you from every harm
And here your dreamsss are sweet and tomorrow brings them true
Here is the place where I love you. The gentle voice side my head sang, almost an exact replica of my mother's.

Thank you. I murmured in return. Then I fell into the waiting arms of sleep.

Annnnnnnd cut! That's chapter three y'all! Hope you enjoyed, and chapter four should be out soon! (Also I'm sorry for the delay!! School happened XD) Peace!

edit: 24/12/2023
me when i do foreshadowing
merry christmas eve to all who celebrate
enjoy this xx