Don't Walk Away

As days went by, school became easier. Erin still felt like he was still being targeted, but the schoolwork became easier. He got more sleep, demons were easier to remember, and the voices of demons stopped filling his mind. Even the cold air wasn't as a pest anymore. Peace finally found him, even if it was for a little bit.

Erin was sitting at his desk studying some of the spells. He would've tried them out if he weren't afraid of destroying his bed. No way was he going to destroy the only thing that was still in one piece. His desk still wasn't stable from the last try.

"Hey, Erin!" He turned around to see Fletcher standing by the doorway. "Do you want to come with us to Coricullum? You haven't explored the city yet."

Erin sat there thinking. He never explored the city yet; might as well now. He gave Fletcher a quick nod.

"I'll get ready first," Erin said.

His friend smiled and closed the door behind him. Erin picked up his satchel and was about to open the door when he heard a tapping at the window. When he looked, there was a little purple mite at the window. "How did you get here?" Erin asked whispered.

I could fly, silly! it said. Erin froze for a second and shook his head. No, not again.

Wow, you actually understand me, the mite said. She was right!

"--She?" Erin asked. He began to nervously tap his satchel. Someone else knew? Who? he thought.

You'll find that out later, the mite said. Just go to the front of the school and meet me there. 'kay?

"Okay," he muttered. The little mite zipped away, happily flying through the sky. Erin, on the other hand, opened his door and walked pass his friends.

"Where are you going?" Rory asked. "We're not leaving just yet."

"I forgot about a meeting," Erin dully answered. Rory or someone else asked something, but Erin was too far away to comprehend it. The only thing he could hear now was his blood pumping. How-- how can anyone know about his abilities? He didn't tell anyone at the academy. It must be someone from where he's from. But no one came with him...

Erin, completely lost in thought, ran into the door of the exit. He rubbed his forehead. "Aw, man," he muttered. "That really hurt."

You know, I expected someone with your capabilities to be able to see a door. Erin didn't even try to look and opened the doors forcefully.

Hey! You almost hit me! the mite yelled angrily. The young man hissed and slapped his hands on his ears, though he knew it wouldn't do much good.

"Well, don't insult me next time," he said. "Now take me to whoever called me."

Grumpy, it said. It flew away and entered the forest. Erin stuck his tongue out in reply and followed the creature. They walked for a long time in the forest, and it was enough time for Erin to calm down (and trip, fall, and run into trees). If he was going to meet this person, he didn't want to be an idiot.

Finally, they reached a small opening in the forest. In the middle was a cloaked figure. The blue disguise covered her body from head to toe, but tips of the person's long hair poked out. Beside the person was a black Draken with the weirdest eyes.

"So you came," the person said.

"Yeah," Erin said. "I could tell it's you, you know."

The figure sighed. "I should burn this cloak," the person said. The hood was taken off and revealed her face. "So you do have abnormal abilities," Esmeralda said.

"And how do you know about this?" Erin asked.

Esmeralda deadpanned at this. "Really?" she said. "You legitimately don't know who I am? Who my family is?"

"Your last name rings a bell, I guess," Erin said. He faced the other way as heat rushed into his cheeks. It was a tiny bit embarrassing.

"My family owns the plot of land where you live!" she hissed. "You commoners...I'm losing faith in you guys." Erin mentally facepalmed. Of course, it ringed a bell. The whole town where he lived was practically owned by the Hoseki family; they were in serious debt, including his parents. It was also the reason why the town was extremely poor.

"Oh," he said.

"Yes, 'oh,'" she said. "So that's why I know about you. It would be silly not to know who's under Father." Erin cringed at the name. Emmy noticed and said, "I guess you don't like my father."

"Course not," Erin said. "He's a the devil." He recalled everything Mr. Hoseki did to "keep him under control." Like he would believe that lie.

"That's not nice," Emmy said.

"Neither are his strategies," Erin spat back.

Emma flinched before saying, "Look, I know my father isn't the nicest person, but he was trying to--" One quick glare from Erin shut her up.

"You know, he was one of the main reasons why I came here," he said.

"I figured," she said. "You've jumped out of the pot and into the fire though. Father hid you for a long time, but now the king will know, sooner or later. How are you going to deal with that?"

"Run, I guess," Erin muttered. He avoided her gaze and took a closer look at her demons.

"You can't run away, and you certainly can't walk away from this situation," Esmeralda said. "How are you going to explain this to Fletcher? To the king?"

"They'll know when time says so," Erin countered.

"But don't let time do all the work!" Esmeralda snapped. Her eyes were full of rage as she stared down upon him. "It definitely won't be good when they find out! You might kill them!"

"I can't tell them either! What do you think they'll see me as? A monster? Someone to pity?!" Erin shouted. It was the last straw. He stormed out of the forest, leaving Emmy there.

"I won't tell anyone," she said, "but you'll have to fix this on your own. I hate doing someone else's job."

"That's fine by me!" Erin huffed. He came out of the forest in five minutes and saw the rest of friends standing impatiently.

"There you are!" Genevieve said. "What happened to you?"

"The forest has a lot of branches," Erin stated.

"I'll say." Esmeralda also came, but around the building. "Sorry to keep you waiting." Erin glared at her, and she did the same.

Othello nervously chuckled and said, "Well, the only person left is..."

"Sorry!" Maria rushed out the doors. "I lost track of time."

"That's fine, now we can go," Fletcher said. Everyone agreed and hopped on the ride. Eric spaced out as everyone else chatted. He was going to walk as far away as possible from his problem.

___

Comment. Vote. Follow. Keep Reading and Writing!