13: The Queen's Shadow

November 1534

Queen Julianna

     A glimpse in the mirror at a bump that was barely there was a constant reminder of the one secret she still kept. She wouldn't be able to keep her child a secret forever and she loved her husband but the looming threat kept her silent. Though her face reflected that of a brave young underneath was a scared young woman with no clue on how to proceed with ridding her home of a threat. But Henry, by gods grace, permitted her to leave London for the countryside estate of Hatfield where her child, as well as Mary and Elizabeth, resided. Julianna saw this as the perfect opportunity to relax away from it all she was really looking forward to not being around the court she confided in one of her ladies, all was well until Henry suddenly announced he and his counsel was coming along. 

'A chance to relax and spend time with our children.' The words rang in her head. It was the words she'd spoken to her ladies, though it wasn't exactly what she'd said it told her she had a shadow one that was whispering in her husband's ear. Andres wouldn't dare spill her secrets, he wouldn't have even known about the trip to see her children but now that he would be closer to them her anxiety was through the roof. He believed her children should be his, she may live in fear of him but she would not allow him to touch her children.

Her boys were her life and the future of England, those who would harm her children will die screaming.

December 1534

King Henry

Hatfield Estates

    It was nice getting away from the drama and gossip of London court, but how he was attempting to go about relaxing was backfiring. Julianna was distancing herself from him, it was true he was using others to spy on her but he wasn't sure what was wrong. Though he knew she missed her children he knew something else wasn't right. 

However, he was starting to get an idea and he didn't like it at all. Cromwell had done research into her life while living in Rome before their marriage and what he discovered surprised him. The gentleman that had come to his court only a month prior had a past with his beloved wife, Andres and Julianna were said to have been lovers but those who were asked denied the two had ever been intimate. Henry grew angry at the thought that his wife didn't tell him the truth, though he himself had never asked. She had bled the night of their wedding and had sworn she was a virgin when they married. It confused him not to know the truth, but he decided not to confront her just yet. But Andres would certainly have an eye kept on him, no matter what the truth Henry doesn't trust him.

But for the winter holidays, he was determined to grit his teeth and left.

Queen Julianna

"My boys!" Julianna couldn't help herself as she all but ran to hug her toddling children. James with his bright blue eyes and gummy smile toddled over to his mother as fast as his little legs could carry him. She scooped him up and squeezed her sweet boy tightly, laying a kiss on his forehead she carries him over to where their governess stands to hold an equally happy Charles. 

Kissing his forehead as well she smiles before turning back to where Henry stands watching her, a ghost of a smile on his lips. Andres who stands nearby observing how happy and how sweet Julianna is with her children grows increasingly bitter. Jealousy gnawing at him, those ought to be his children Julianna was his. The doubt he'd planted in the king's mind was working like a charm although he didn't realize that he himself was under the king's watch. But both Henry and Andres underestimate the love Julianna has for her children nor do they know what she will do for them.